US army testing new combat rifle

Blackclaw

http://www.shadowsource.org/dragon/oicw.html

I just don't know about this thing. The firepower of a 20mm cannon is nice for an individual soldier to have and its ability to preset a range detonation is awfully cool, but the thing is big and bulky. It's 18 pounds right now. That's like toting around a bowling ball. The production goal is to get it down to 14 pounds, which is still fairly heavy for a rifle. I'm also unsure of how well the thing will stand up to the rigors of combat. Will it still fire after it gets tossed down a staircase? What happens when it gets wet? What happens when sand gets into its targeting computer? I guess you could always chuck it at an enemy soldier.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Its nice, looks cool but little heavy. It does come with two barrels and other gizmos too so I guess its not that bad!

DRUB

is it just me, or are there others who basically crap thier pants when thinking of being up against someone with a weapon such as there?

The ability to kill is becomming so much more efficient.

turin

Consists basically of G-36-components (as well as the rifle part of the former OICW), however wrapped into a new design, also different sight I think. Buttstock seems to be quite massive, so thats good news. The G-36-buttstock tends to have problems with breaking when handled too rough. :eek:

berry580

This things looks good, but whether its as useful as it sounds, I have my doubts.
The gun can fire bullets that'll detonate in a preset distance, it can be useful when the situation is right, but that is simply not good enough.

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
He's desribing the U.S OICW(Objective Individual Combat Weapon), but the program has been cancelled a year ago due cost and weight of the system.

A

Aussie Digger

Despite it's futuristic look, the XM-8, from what I've read is not all that futuristic, internally. It uses basically the same rotating bolt system as the current M16A2. There is a report on the weapon in a recent "Popular Mechanics" magazine.

Apparently it's easy to shoot, very accurate, and fires at a relatively high auto rate, but other than that it is no great advance on any other current generation assault rifle...

highsea

AD, do you know what month that report was written? The reason that I ask, is that there are some pretty significant differences between the 2 actions.

The XM-8 is a repackaged HK G36, and though they are both gas-operated rotating bolt actions, the M16 vents the gases directly into the chamber (and onto the bolt face), where the XM-8 bolt is driven by a piston and the gases are vented out, so they can't foul the bolt face.

This means a much lower sensitivity to cleaning that was one of the biggest faults of the M16, i.e. the XM-8 is less succeptable to jamming. This should greatly improve the weapon's reliability in sustained firing situations. Also, the piston is unaffected by barrel interchanges, and will still operate even if the barrel is full of water. (not that I'd want to try that one)

The sight is pretty futuristic, I understand. It is supposed to have an indicator that shows how many rounds left in the mag, among other things. That could come in useful.

Also the modular design lends itself to many variations with a quick-change of parts. So the user can go from SMG to rifle to SAW to sniper version in minutes with no special tools. Not that an infantryman is going to be carrying a golf bag of parts around with him, but the armorer can make quick conversions depending on where the weapon will be used. This is another advantage over the M16/M4, which had virtually no interchangability between versions.

The XM-8 may not be a big improvement over other modern weapons like the AUG, but I think it's going to be quite a bit better than the M16, which after all is a 40 year old design.

XM-8 Field Stripped

-CM

A

Aussie Digger

It was the October 2004 edition of Popular Mechanics, (I read it in a newsagency just the other day)... I looked online, but the November edition is already up...

I have no doubt the XM-8 will be better than the current edition M-16A2, but it is evolutionary rather than revolutionary and the list of features it has are no big improvement on other weapons, such as the G36 you mentioned, (my personal favourite current gen rifle btw)...

highsea

AD, I will look for that edition, thanks.

I guess I had the impression from your post that you thought the XM-8 and G36 were different weapons. I was just pointing out that they were the same weapon in different trim, and that the G36/XM8 gas system was superior to the M16A2. (venting to the forearm rather than the receiver)

Cheers.

-CM