ADF Joining Advice?

Verlux

I'm currently completing VCE and am going to attempt to enroll in ADFA. However, I am hesitant to apply for the Army as the medical examination and medical classing may prohibit me from joining either. I have a history of mental illness unfortunately, the specifics of which are: Minor ADD, minor Autism, Clinical Depression and Anxiety disorder, a brief case of Psychotic Depression (Or rather a psychosis, specifically involving visual/audio hallucinations, paranoia and minor delusions) and most importantly, issues regarding self-harm and attempted suicide. I've been searching online and talking with some people whom have served or are associated with the ADF and can't find any concise answers of how this would affect my eligibility for the ADF.

The SH issues were during early 2014 and lasted until nearly the end of the year. The suicide attempts took place mostly during September and November 2014, with other attempts being made in 2010 and 2012. Only one of these resulted in hospitalisation with about a month of psychological assessment. I still have active depression and anxiety which are under therapeutic treatment, but neither of them have an obvious cause. The psychologist think it may be simply hereditary. Regardless, would these issues put me in a category below 2 or otherwise ineligible for service? Thanks in advance :)

ADF Investor

Unfortunately it sounds like you might be right with your medical conditions prohibiting you from joining. But every case is different and you won't know until you go through the process.

You should absolutely continue with the application process until you get a definite answer. Just have another plan as a backup in case.