80 Al-Zarrar tanks given to Pakistan Army

saraab

Yesterday's Daily Jang Karachi reported that the first Al- Zarar batch will be commisioned on the 19th this month.

But what i have been hearing and reading is that there are approx 20 already in service.

source :
[admin edit: Post news from credible sources - not from website which copies from other websites and does not list the actual source of the information!]

Maybe, the ones shown there are the proto types.

Anyone ???

Roger Smith

Re: First Al- Zarar Batch ??

What is the difference in combat capability and better in quality between
Al-Zarar and Al-Khalid? :?

big_evil

yeah man! I wana know this too...All I've been reading up and finding info about is Al-Khalid. Then some time back I read abt Al-Zarar tank... when did this come in? n watz the difference between Al-Khalid and Al-Zarar??? anyone to help?

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Al-Zarrar is a Pakistani upgrade to the T-59 tank. So it is just an improvement over the tank which is quite old and thus comes with added drawbacks. The upgrades add nightvision and new cannons (I think.)
The Al-Khalid on the other hand is a brand new tank which was constructed in accordance with the needs of the army. This tank has auto tracking, night vision, auto loaders, bi-axis stabilized sights, AA maching gun which can be remote operated from inside, the works.

So obviously!!! the Al Khalid is better than the T-59 upgrade.

fieldmarshal

al- zarrar has been around for a lot longer than they say.......by a year or so....it has been in service with some armoured corps regements........i had the pleasure of sitin in 1 at kharia belongin to 24 cavalery.......in this was more than a year back.......... :)

suleman

Al Zarrar tank given to Pakistan Army

Al Zarrar tank given to Army

(Updated at 1245 PST)
ISLAMABAD: Al Zarrar tank constructed with the collaboration of Heavy Industries Texila, Pakistan and China is handed over to Pakistan Army on Thursday, Geo news channel reported.

On the hand-over ceremony, President General Pervez Musharraf said that Defence of Pakistan is inevitable.

http://jang.com.pk/thenews/feb2004-daily/26-02-2004/main/update.shtml#19

This will certainly a boost for Pakistan army espacially for offencive units.Pakistan soon will have a strong armour and will be in a position of giving a solid punch to enemy in case of agression.

saraab

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
80 Al-Zarrar tanks handed over to army
ISLAMABAD, Feb 26: President Pervez Musharraf handed over on Thursday 80 indigenously modernized and upgraded Al-Zarrar tanks to the Pakistan Army and 25 armoured personnel carriers (APC) to the police.

A high mobility all-weather tank with an "image stabilized fire control system" and capable of day and night operations, Al-Zarrar is an upgraded version of the T-59 tanks of Chinese origin.

Speaking at the handing over ceremony at the Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT), President Musharraf said Pakistan did not want to embroil itself in an arms race but would maintain a minimum level of deterrence for the country's security.

The tanks' indigenous adaptation was a cost-effective solution in the country's military development, he said. The HIT plans to manufacture hundreds of Al-Zarrar tanks for armoured formations of the army in next few years.

The president said security, integrity and solidarity of the country would never be compromised. "Pakistan is conscious of its priorities towards economic development and poverty alleviation, but within these limitations the security of nation and the integrity and solidarity of Pakistan will never be compromised," said the president.

He said today's event demonstrated maturity of our indigenized defence production capabilities and self-reliance. Pakistan remained aware of the debilitating effects of the sanctions in the past, he added. "We follow a very cost-effective and affordable solution which forms the hallmark of all our military development," he added.

Gen Musharraf said Pakistan's strategy of minimum deterrence in conventional and un-conventional fields was a very cost-effective concept. He said in conventional deterrence and also to realize the offensive nature of our defence strategy, armour plays an effective role.

"It gives an offensive punch to the army." The president said: "It is this offensive punch which will end any war on a positive note." The armour corps, he said, ought to be very proud of itself for getting the very latest tanks in the world.

In the coming years, they would be getting Al-Khalid, Al-Zarrar and T-80 UD tanks, putting them along with the best armoured forces in the world, he added. The new tanks were released only days after the army also received the indigenously developed solid fuel short range Hatf-3 missile which has a range of 290 kilometres.

President Musharraf had earlier this month announced that an intermediate range ballistic (IRBM) solid fuel missile Shaheen-2 would also be ready for testing soon. -DPA/ APP
:mrgreen
[sources]
http://www.jang.com.pk/jang/index.html
http://www.dawn.com/2004/02/27/top2.htm

there was also a suplement released by jang karachi yesterday about the event describing Al-Zarrar's and the security vehicle "Muhaffiz"

saraab

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i posted the same news in another thread after not seeing it there

:smokingc: :smokingc:

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer

Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, standing in a vehicle, reviews a parade of Pakistan-made Al-Zarar tanks in Taxila, 40 kilometers (25 miles) northwest of Islamabad, Pakistan, Thursday, Feb. 26, 2004, in this photo released by Pakistan's Press Information Department.

The upgrade has breathed new life into the old T-59s. The cannon has been changed to a 125mm chrome plated smooth bore, new armour has been added, a new computerized fire control system has been installed, extra grenade launchers on both sides of the turret, bi-axis stablized night vision sites for the gunner etc. etc. etc.
All in all 54 major upgrades have been done.

Roger Smith

Pakistan is now an expert in making MBT. The first to roll out was Al-Khalid second is Al-Zarrar and when would the third MBT to be roll out and what would be the name? :?

mysterious

I think for now; Al-Khalid and Al-Zarar should be more than enough for the requirements of the Pakistani Army. They should now constiture their resources towards improving the PAF with advanced jet and providing PN with more vessels! :cop

Roger Smith

mysterious said:
I think for now; Al-Khalid and Al-Zarar should be more than enough for the requirements of the Pakistani Army. They should now constiture their resources towards improving the PAF with advanced jet and providing PN with more vessels! :cop
Well, you have a good point.

Now Pakistan should concentrate on getting new hardware for PAF & PN. :smokingc:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
i agree. PAK armed forces must invest more on PAF & PN(S). After all PAF is the one which has kept te enemy on back fut during all the battles is fought. The new JF-17 were tested successfuly last yr. & would join ove PAF in 2006 so there is an investment in PAF but still the PN(S) needs more although France has shifted its Sub-Marine tech tp Pakistan PN(S) must demand for atleast one Career & Fleet.