1995 Peru-Ecuador

ROCK45

I've been interested in this war for sometime mainly because of the aviation involved but know little about the ground fighting. I believe the fighting to be mainly in one area and it seems the Ecuadorians were much better prepared on there side of the border. I used this as my source about the air war and it has a breakdown of events.
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_164.shtml

It seem that Ecuador held the high ground, had artillery, and air defense units as well but lost? How did they lose in the end it still isn't clear to me did Peru move two divisions of troops or something? On the above site you see a picture of a Peruvian standing over a anti-gun used in the battle. How did Ecuador lose the high ground? I'm interested because it's seem to be of the few wars or long battles where the side that held the air power advantage may have lost.
I assume no tanks were used in the jungle fighting Peru's closes army garrison was fifty miles away in thick jungle but the two side brought there armed forces up to full alert. Maybe on a few of the coastal highways or major roads there might have been tank or mechanized stand offs? I know Peru has T-54/55 but don't not know what Ecuador's army uses to be honest.

If anybody can shed a little light on the situation and expand how did Ecuador lose, thanks in advance.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Actually, neither side "won" per se, the peace accord reestablished the status quo ante, with subsequent talks about redefining the border. Ecuador lost economically, big time.

There wasn't really that much ground fighting. The entire ground fight, to my knowledge, only involved some five or so outposts within two areas with a total size of about 150-200 km². One of those areas (Tiwinza), Ecuador managed to hold throughout the war, the other one was regained by Peru with massive air support. There was pretty much no fighting in other areas.

Btw, Ecuador as their most capable armor had 108 AMX-13 upgraded '88-'90 with 105mm guns and modern fire control. Not too sure if they already had T-55 back then (30 for 2003)? In 1990 iirc they still had some 30 M3 Stuarts instead on their ToE.
Don't think either saw any use, the combat area was primarily jungle.

ROCK45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Massive air support

kato
the other one was regained by Peru with massive air support.
Hi kato
Ecuador may have had more fighters/aircraft then Peru flyable and they were operating from closer bases too. I don't see where this extra air support came from do you mean helicopters bring Peruvian troops and supplies? My feelings are the outside powers bring peace to the situation work and Ecuador just fell back. I just never been able to confirm that and on paper Peru seems to have a much larger army then Ecuador. Maybe it was the right time to end this short war. Both side bought arms after this Ecuador still might have more flyable aircraft Peru went through a rough time.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ecuador also has a handful of VRC 90s and may still be using the M113. These guys have been going at it for a long time now.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Ecuador may have had more fighters/aircraft then Peru flyable and they were operating from closer bases too.
If you look at the casualty numbers on the ground (Ecuador claims 30, Peru 50, wounded about 10 times that on either side), it becomes clear that this was primarily a lot of small units duking it out. High Special Forces usage, especially on the Ecuadorian side.
Peru's first steps seemed to be to establish a support line via forward air bases into the combat zone, which then later in the war were used to shuttle small units of 20, 30 men each forward via helicopter and small aircraft. Peru attacked in five separate instances in total upon the contested outposts, all with mixed results.

Neither side went into a "general war". Peru still held back its Mirage 2000P, Mirage 5P and Su-22 for the most part to protect more important strategic targets such as oil refineries, and didn't attack at other points, in particular along the coast - despite supposedly mobilizing some 140,000 men. Ecuador did the same with its Jaguars.

What Peru apparently did use was a high number of assault/combat helicopters (Hinds, Hips, later on CH-47), as well as A-37B Dragonflys for forward air support. And that even though they never gained effective air superiority. If you look at the ACIG account, Peru flew several hundred sorties upon Ecuadorian positions uncontested - there only was a single day where Ecuador successfully scrambled interceptors and shot down three Peruvian aircraft, despite having an air-surveillance radar network in place.

ROCK45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Peru

kato - Thanks for unknown reason I missed certain facts like it was a single day where Ecuador successfully scrambled interceptors and shot down three Peruvian aircraft. I can't believe I missed so much that's what happens when you scan too much. I am going to slowly read the ACIG account again they seem to covered very well. Thanks again

eckherl - they have been going at a long time and both sides went on a arms buying spree more so Peru. On the Peruvian side of the border they may be oil and natural deposits so things may heat up again one. Ecuador had some work done to there Kfir's Israeli radar's and Python IV, a little better then most of what Peru has. Peru went with second hand cheap Mig-29A which needed millions dollars extra in repairs from Russia to get flying.

Ecuador just join OPEC or is about to join. I didn't know they produce about 500,000 barrels of oil a year.

Thanks for helping