Defencetalk.com Weapons Database (DB) section

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
This is regarding an idea from "pathfinder-x" in this thread:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1819

The weapons database idea was approved :roll and is under development but it needs some serious help as far as content is concerned.

Who can help us take charge of this section, manage it, add content, etc. ?

http://www.defencetalk.com/wdb

As you can see, it doesn't have much. AD, GF and others have offered to help where they can but need few people to really go after it. The more knowledge you have about defence/military matters the better. Do not worry about design or working with code or anything. ;) I will take care of that.

More info as questions pop up.

Enjoy!!!

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
I have night school session until 11th, August and also a part time job. I don't have much time to fill in the weapon board. As soon as I'm done with my night sessions I'll start feeding in infos.

p.s I already filled in some info on land systems, but there is a problem with image posting, seems like you can't post it there.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No problem Path.

And thanks for putting the info in.

When doing this we want to make sure we keep some of the atributes consistent, such as:

-Font
--size
--style
--heading, etc

-layout

As far as picture uploading, I haven't figured that out yet my self so as soon as I do will let you know. :D

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Hmm.....I dont think I ll be much help on this cause of scarce time but I know I computer guy who is good at DB, web designing, Php (has made about 5 forums on VBulliten for different companies). He seems free now days, I think he ll be more than willing to help you ppl out regarding upgrading any thing on this forum even the DataBase, he can even make a GUI DB for you with Oracl and upload on this forum with out putting much of a load. The only problem with him would be that he is not interested in Defence issues, he doesnt knw any thing except that Pak have army and PAF has F-16s :D: .
If u want him I can contect him but u will have to provide him with some one who know very much on defence & wapons.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Backend doesn't require knowledge about defence but backend programing. :D He only needs to know what he knows for this purpose. ;)

You can ask him if you want.

Remember, all work is voluntary.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Well, Soldier:

You can help manage it. Say act like an "editor" or something but that would mean a lot of people putting info in which would need approval, etc. We will figure out a way for you to help. :D

Soldier

WebMaster said:
Well, Soldier:

You can help manage it. Say act like an "editor" or something but that would mean a lot of people putting info in which would need approval, etc. We will figure out a way for you to help. :D
I always will be happy webmaster. Please let me know when you want me to get started..
my regards

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Good news!

Some type of integration of Weapons DB is underway with gallery software. As soon as that comes out we will implement it.

I am not sure if Sri would be able to do this? Feeding pictures from specific album in the gallery into specific (of same type) content on DB page?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Okay, first: Can I get the names of the people interested in helping and being part of this?

Since the WDB is an open section, only editors/admins would need the user ID and thats why I need names so I can make those IDs. ALL mods will be part of this in one way or the other. So, any non-mods interested?

2nd, we may have to divide up the role of each user (who does what, etc).

Content Feeders (adding content)
Editors (adding content, approving other content/publishing other content submitted by users (content feeders).
Administration (do some more stuff plus whatever editors and content feeders can)

You may take up multiple roles if you wish.

When adding content, please keep these in mind:

-Font Style
--ARIAL

-Font Size
-- 2 (10 pt)

(right click where you are adding content > select ALL and then change the font for everythign or the size.)

Sources go at the very bottom. Like this

Source: whatever.com

As I said until a more user friendly appraoch comes out for gallery integration, we will have to do this if you want to insert pictures of specific equipment:

Say for example you want to add pics on F-16.

You will go into the gallery, click on F-16 album, highlight few pics and paste them after the "source" and that will look something like this:

http://www.defencetalk.com/wdb/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=26
Scroll to the bottom.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks, enjoy!!!