What is the future for Mig-31?

Haavarla

I've read something about a Mig-31 BM that is currently in trials at The 4th CBPiPLS as we speak.
Witch type of upgrades can we expect to see and how many will be upgradet?

Last edited:

SkolZkiy

as I've read - it will have new radar and most of all avionics will be changed
so max range of hitting target class "fighter" will be 280 km.
there is info in Russian in web but i don't know is there something in english
all RAF MiG-31 will be modernized to MiG-31 BM (something like 300 planes)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will remain in service for probably the next 2 decades. If funds are found it will be modernized, otherwise it won't. But chances are that it's the last of it's class, and no 5th. gen replacement will be developed.

SkolZkiy

no. there are plans to develop new fighter of this class, may be supersonic.
besides of it's pssibilities to intercept aircrafts and missiles it has a function of flying command center. something like little AWACS.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
besides of it's pssibilities to intercept aircrafts and missiles it has a function of flying command center. something like little AWACS.
I'm confused here..
The Mig-31M with its 56tonnes is classed Heavy Fighter/interceptor yes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiG-31

Wiki:

"Development of a more comprehensive advanced version, the MiG-31M, began in 1983 and first flew in 1986, but the collapse of the Soviet Union prevented it from entering full production. Since 1991 and especially since 2000, most of the existing aircraft have been upgraded to the MiG-31M standard, also adding some additional features like Global Positioning System (GPS) and GLONASS receivers, and three colour CRT MFDs in the rear cockpit.[5] (In the VVS, aircraft designations are often repeated through the years; for example, the Su-35 'Flanker-E' and Su-37 'Flanker-F' are both designated "Su-27M".)

It was the heaviest interceptor in the world, with a maximum takeoff weight on 56 tonnes. It was even heavier than a commercial Tu-134 which has a maximum takeoff weight of 49 tonnes."

The 5 gen. PAK-FA will be somewhere between the Su-27 and Mig-29 weight ratio yes?
And is classed Medium fighter?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sources please.

SkolZkiy

Feanor sorry but I always read something in the RUnet and before I registered here i was no need to save links. From this time I'll do it. But as I said there are just plans which were announced but several highly ranked millitaries and I haven't any exact info about this. This is about the plans of building next generation of MiG-31
as for my words about "little AWAACS" - in russian sources it is everywhere
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/МиГ-31
this is wiki.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh no, I know it has datalink and can act as a mini-airborne command center. Truth to be told, all modern planes have datalink capabilities and can network to the point where any fighter can be a "mini-command center". I was curious about the replacement plans you mention. Replacement plans imply a new heavy high altitude, high speed, interceptor? Or did you just mean that the PAK-FA will replace the MiG-31 in VVS service?

stigmata

SkolZkiy said:
as for my words about "little AWAACS"- in russian sources it is everywhere
Not hard to see them as "little AWAC's" Iran uses the F-14 for that purpose, and the radars are about as powerful, really impressive :)

SkolZkiy

Yes Feanor it MiG-31 will be replaced with PAK-FA or one of its modification because we have no money right now to develop such analog of MiG-31 but there was a program MiG MPD - next generation MiG-31 but the the programm is freezed according to lack of money. may be it will be built but not till the program PAK-FA fully finished and russian economy become more powerful.

Yes many fighters use datalink but their systems are not as powerful as Mig-31 one's.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
You mean to tell me that the ~20 year old datalink on the Foxhound is inferior to datalink for the Raptor?

SkolZkiy

I am talking about MiG-31BM and at least MiG-31M and you are talking about MiG-31 =) I think there is a difference.

Haavarla

I am talking about MiG-31BM and at least MiG-31M and you are talking about MiG-31 =) I think there is a difference.
Do you have any numbers regarding how many Mig-31 BM we will se?
And some spec's about it?

Haavarla

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fighter/mig31bm.html

I have no exact info about numbers but it was adopted in 1999. I doubt there many of them according ofcause to the lack of money. But Lipetsk Training center get at least 2 of them this. Other real sources that says about any new fighters are not available.

Ok, keep us posted if u do come over any material of the Mig-31 BM status?
I'm curious about the engine, range and radar upgrade:)

Last edited:

SkolZkiy

http://www.army.lv/?s=102&id=336
try to read this. about it's systems - google in russian =))

Adopted - 1999

General characteristics
Crew: 1 pilot
Length: 22.67 m
Wingspan: 13.46 m
Height: 6.15 m
Wing area: 61.6 m²
Empty weight: 21,820 kg (48,100 lb)
Loaded weight: 42,400 kg
Max takeoff weight: 48,200 kg
Powerplant: 2× Soloviev D-30F6 afterburning turbofans
Dry thrust: 93 kN (20,900 lbf) each
Thrust with afterburner: 152 kN (34,172 lbf) each

Performance
Maximum speed:
High altitude: Mach 2.83 (3,000 km/h, 1,860 mph)
Low altitude: Mach 1.2 (1,500 km/h, 930 mph)
Combat radius: 720 km at Mach 2.35 (450 mi)
Ferry range: 3,300 km (2,050 mi)
Service ceiling 20,600 m (67,600 ft)
Rate of climb: 208 m/s (41,000 ft/min)
Wing loading: 665 kg/m² (136 lb/ft²)
Thrust/weight: 0.85
Maximum g-load: 5 g

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The BM modernization program is currently in a stasis. As far as I know, there are no major plans or contracts for modernization. I don't know if any will come eventually, or if the Foxhounds will just be phased out as is.

Haavarla

The BM modernization program is currently in a stasis. As far as I know, there are no major plans or contracts for modernization. I don't know if any will come eventually, or if the Foxhounds will just be phased out as is.

Ok, expected that was the case..

I beleve there is a small amount, something like 4 Mig-31 BM that exist today.

Wiki:
"Some upgrade programs have found their way in the MiG-31 fleet, like the MiG-31BM multirole version with upgraded avionics, new multimode radar, hands-on-throttle-and-stick (HOTAS) controls, liquid-crystal (LCD) color multi-function displays (MFDs), ability to carry the AA-12 'Adder' missile and various Russian air-to-ground missiles (AGMs) such as the AS-17 'Krypton' anti-radiation missile (ARM), a new and more powerful computer, and digital datalinks. However, only very small number of Russian aircraft have been upgraded to the MiG-31BM standard, although others have been equipped with new computer and the ability to carry the R-77 long-range missile as well"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan_MiG-31

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like it was mentioned earlier, 2 are in Lipetsk in a testing unit. Time will tell whether that turns into anything or not.