strange but important question

Anas Ali

1.Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) / some people like to believe that its the ability of your early warning radars to guide the fire control radars to targets precisely through coordinates and data associated with tracks even if the fire control radars cant detect the target in case if its stealthy or for any other reason ?!!

2.can awacs like hawkeye 2000 guide sparrow , amraam , r77 or missiles in general ?!

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
1.Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC) / some people like to believe that its the ability of your early warning radars to guide the fire control radars to targets precisely through coordinates and data associated with tracks even if the fire control radars cant detect the target in case if its stealthy or for any other reason ?!!

2.can awacs like hawkeye 2000 guide sparrow , amraam , r77 or missiles in general ?!
CEC blends radar tracks from multiple sources and allows individual platforms to have a better picture than they might have had on their own. It's definitely possible for a platform to engage a target it can't see itself, using CEC data - the RN did a trial with CEC a few years back and were able to shoot down a target drone from a Type 42 who's own radar was totally jammed by using radar data from another ship.

It's not magic however if no-one can see the target and the combined data doesn't give a track, there's no fix for that.

I can't answer the second question at all accurately, but I'd guess any missile with a datalink could be steered by an AWACS or similar and theoretically it could then engage. Sparrow I can rule out, no active seeker head, but AIM120, possibly.

There's definitely an intention to get the F35 working with ship based missiles in the future, using MADL and similar - and that'd be interesting.