Russia to get new Mi-28 helicopters

F-15 Eagle

Russia's Defense Ministry is planning to purchase at least 10-15 Mi-28N Night Hunter attack helicopters every year until 2015, a ministry official said on Tuesday.
The Mi-28N is the latest variant of the Mi-28 attack helicopter, manufactured by the Rostvertol plant in southern Russia. It has been designed to conduct hunter-killer missions against enemy main battle tanks, helicopters, ground forces and armored equipment day or night in adverse weather conditions.
"The [Mi-28N] procurement program will last until 2015. In the next few years, we are planning to purchase 10-15 helicopters per year, and later increase annual orders," said Gen. Nikolai Makarov, chief of Armament for the Russian Armed Forces.
Russia's Defense Ministry is planning to purchase at least 45-50 Mi-28N Night Hunter attack helicopters until 2010, and to fully replace the Mi-24 Hind choppers in the armed forces by 2015.
Rosvertol launched mass production of the Mi-28N helicopters last year.
On Tuesday, the first two mass-produced Mi-28N were transferred to the Russian Air Force by the manufacturer. They will be deployed at a training center in the Tver Region (Central Russia).
The Night Hunter is powered by two TV3-117VMA turbo-shaft engines developing 2,200-shp each. The armored cockpit protects the crew from small arms fire and absorbs the impact energy during emergency landings, ensuring outstanding survivability.
Its combat range with internal fuel tanks is 450 kilometers (about 280 miles), but with external fuel tanks may be extended to 1,100 km (about 680 miles).
Meanwhile, Rosvertol general director, Boris Slyusar, said his company was ready to start deliveries of Mi-28N helicopters to Venezuela as early as in the second half of 2009, if the Latin American country signs a contract with Russia.
"We have an official request from Venezuela, but it is too early to talk about the number of aircraft to be delivered and the timeframe until a contract is signed," Slyusar said. "Other than that, we are ready to start deliveries in the second half of 2009."
Russia may also sell the Night Hunter to China, Algeria and some other countries.

Firehorse

Banned Member
And what is your source? I wonder what is their effectiveness compared with ground attack planes? In any case, I don't think they'll be purchased in large numbers!

ROCK45

Mi-28N

On Tuesday, the first two mass-produced Mi-28N were transferred to the Russian Air Force by the manufacturer. They will be deployed at a training center in the Tver Region (Central Russia).
This helicopter project have been going on for a long time and sending only two helicopters to a training center doesn't seem like enough. What would they do trained pilots and maintenance personnel on two birds? I would give this project a little time to kick in maybe a signed Venezuelan order is just what is needed?

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know by 2010 the Russian Air Force will have 50 in service, and by 2015 they will have the full order of 300 Mi-28N helicopters in service to replace the fleet of 260 Mi-24 choppers by 2015.

Chrom

Your a very believing type person I see so fifty produced in two years after the article said 12 to 15 a year? Want to buy some swamp land real cheap? I might meet you half way on this if Venezuela signed a deal.

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
Talking
Mi-28 will be bought by russian army in (relative) small numbers to replace aging and slowly out-of-service Mi-24's. 50 Mi-28N aquired by 2010 is not out of hand if there is indeed 15 produced every year. Plus, some of earler produced Mi-28 could be possible upgraded to Mi-28N standard.

nero

Admin: Text deleted. You've been on here long enough to know that this comment is skating close to the bone. Please change your commenting style so that it doesn't merge boundaries on what's acceptable within the Forum Guidelines

Last edited by a moderator:

F-15 Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Admin: Text deleted. You've been on here long enough to know that this comment is skating close to the bone. Please change your commenting style so that it doesn't merge boundaries on what's acceptable within the Forum Guidelines
Why whats wrong with the Indians getting them??

Last edited by a moderator:

ROCK45

Indians

India's army and air force don't seem to hold close air support as important as other armed forces based on there lack of a real attack helicopter or Su-25, I think. It's taking Russia a long time to really produce an attack helicopter like the Cobra or others more modern types which isn't India's fault. India never bought elsewhere maybe there weren't enough on the market at the time. The battle proven and tested Su-25, didn't get pick up as one of there many types of aircraft they operate. I'm surprise it's simple to use and maintain, carries a good payload, descent range. I know they have Hind-24 and Hip-8/17 which can also be rigged for anti-tank missions. The lack of Su-25 surprises me it would have been a perfect fit since another nearby country has a fare amount of tanks and mechanized forces. I guess they felt that Mig-27, 23, 21, and Jaguars could perform this mission in a sense could. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Last edited:

aaaditya

India's army and air force don't seem to hold close air support as important as other armed forces based on there lack of a real attack helicopter or Su-25, I think. It's taking Russia a long time to really produce an attack helicopter like the Cobra or others more modern types which isn't India's fault. India never bought elsewhere maybe there weren't enough on the market at the time. The battle proven and tested Su-25, did get pick up as one of there many types of aircraft they operate. I'm surprise it's simple to use and maintain, carries a good payload, descent range. I know they have Hind-24 and Hip-8/17 which can also be rigged for anti-tank missions. The lack of Su-25 surprises me it would have been a perfect fit since another nearby country has a fare amount of tanks and mechanized forces. I guess they felt that Mig-27, 23, 21, and Jaguars could perform this mission in a sense could. Does anybody have any insight on this?
indian air force used the hunters for a short period for close air support roles ,but the jaguar was their preffered aircraft for the close air support role,and it was not a bad choice either.

ROCK45

air support role

aaaditya
but the jaguar was their preffered aircraft for the close air support role,and it was not a bad choice either.
Do you know if India's Air Force has forward ground controllers who train with the army in close air ground support? Thanks

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Do you know if India's Air Force has forward ground controllers who train with the army in close air ground support? Thanks
Yes they do, pretty much set up the same way as the U.S and Russians would handle this type of support.

ROCK45

close air

Thanks

I guess I'm having a problem with the Jaguar being there main anti-tank and close air ground support platform. I see this aircraft dropping a LGB on an aircraft hanger more so then a tank or groups of tanks. I guess a target is a target and it makes no difference. It just seems the Su-25 or the American made A-10 would have been a perfect fit for this task.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks

I guess I'm having a problem with the Jaguar being there main anti-tank and close air ground support platform. I see this aircraft dropping a LGB on an aircraft hanger more so then a tank or groups of tanks. I guess a target is a target and it makes no difference. It just seems the Su-25 or the American made A-10 would have been a perfect fit for this task.
Not everyone has the Cold War era abilities to field such a dedicated aircraft, I would also state that a A-10 was designed solely for this purpose while the Frogfoot was more of a all around close air support aircraft. With upgrades given to the A-10 its role has been able to change in versatility. Both are good aircraft with high praise given by the people that fly them.

ROCK45

Chechen wars

I know the Su-25 was used in the Chechen wars but I'm not sure if for anti-tank or ground support. I'm interested in learning about all the aircraft involved in the air war. Might be a pretty modern way to see have Russia uses air power in warfare. If you know of any good sites that deal with this subject even if it's just tank busting side let me, thanks.

ROCK45

Venezuela to purchase attack helicopters from Russia

* This might help speed up the production

Venezuela to purchase attack helicopters from Russia

The Venezuelan government placed an order with Russian weapons manufacturer Rostvertol for attack helicopters MI-28N.

The firm's director Boris Sliusar said it was "premature to talk about deadlines and quantities," because "the agreement is yet to be initialed."

However, he said the first units were likely to be delivered in the first half of 2009, news agency Ria Novosti said.

Mi-28N choppers -known as "Night Hunter"- are last-generation attack helicopters with a major goal to provide air support to terrestrial troops, regardless of weather conditions. With an outstanding flight speed (186 m/h), it is virtually invisible to anti-aircraft defense. It features a two-place armored cabin and is equipped with state-of-the-art air weapons allowing hitting target under poor weather conditions.

The first MI-28N choppers manufactured by Rostvertol were delivered last Tuesday to the Russian Defense Ministry.

President Hugo Chávez showed interest in the "Night Hunter" in July 2007, when he visited the manufacturing plant.

Venezuela has purchased from Russia multi-purpose cargo helicopters Mi-17, combat helicopters MI-35, and choppers MI-26, viewed as the largest helicopter in the world.

Link
http://english.eluniversal.com/2008/01/24/en_pol_art_venezuela-to-purchas_24A1328931.shtml

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
16 is optimistic indeed. I have managed to confirm from multiple sources that a conversion unit of 4 was operating in Torzhok last year. 12 more had been ordered, but I've got no confirmation of deliveries. It's unclear what timeframe they were ordered over. What is clear is that the 4 in Torzhok are a pre-production batch, and the 12 ordered are the LRIP.

Warfare.ru is a decent source, but one must wonder where they get their info...