Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces






Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence


Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions

This is a discussion on Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) News and Discussions within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by John Fedup Is the UK going to use F-35Bs for both the RN and RAF? Yes, and ...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1 Week Ago   #736
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 275
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Is the UK going to use F-35Bs for both the RN and RAF?
Yes, and both will deploy on the carriers from time to time. Somewhat mirrors the situation n the last days of the Harrier "Joint Force Harrier"

oldsig
oldsig127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #737
Moderator
General
ngatimozart's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,241
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Is the UK going to use F-35Bs for both the RN and RAF?
Yes and the RAF pilots will be carrier deck certified.
________________
"There is one immutable truth we cannot prevent; war is coming, we just don’t know when or where." Brigadier Andrew Harrison DSO MBE
ngatimozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #738
Defense Aficionado
Major General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver and Toronto
Posts: 2,397
Threads:
With the announcement that used Hornets will be purchased from Australia, it comes as no surprise that rumours are surfacing that junior will further delay a competition for new jets until after the next election, yet another abandoned commitment. Hundreds of millions will be wasted trying keep a geriatric Hornet fleet operational until he can fool the electorate that Canada doesn't need fast jets anymore.

Feds planning to push back delivery date for new fighter jets: sources | Calgary Herald
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #739
Super Moderator
General
swerve's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Posts: 6,685
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngatimozart View Post
Yes and the RAF pilots will be carrier deck certified.
I've heard suggestions that there'll be two grades of deck qualification, with RN having the higher grade.

Both should be easier to acquire & maintain than cat & trap carrier qualification, though. The F-35B's supposed to be easier than the Harrier, & RAF crews who'd never seen a carrier before got deck quals then headed south to join the war in a couple of weeks in 1982. It worked.

Last edited by swerve; 1 Week Ago at 05:41 PM.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #740
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,922
Threads:
STOVL conversion training is a total doddle for the B apparently - the Harrier was a two week affair, getting used to juggling the controls, whereas B is not quite point and click but you can take your hands off the controls in a hover and *not die* which is apparently nice.

Certainly a lot easier and with less drama.


So, I expect the FAA pilots will be deck qualified, night and day and the RAF pilots will be expected to have a solid understanding of getting the thing down in one piece. then work from there in a shooting war.
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #741
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,922
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
With the announcement that used Hornets will be purchased from Australia, it comes as no surprise that rumours are surfacing that junior will further delay a competition for new jets until after the next election, yet another abandoned commitment. Hundreds of millions will be wasted trying keep a geriatric Hornet fleet operational until he can fool the electorate that Canada doesn't need fast jets anymore.

Feds planning to push back delivery date for new fighter jets: sources | Calgary Herald
"“But at the end of the day, when you’re buying heavily used, 30-year-old aircraft, you’re buying heavily used 30-year-old aircraft.”"


That's a bloody genius quote
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #742
Defense Aficionado
Major General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver and Toronto
Posts: 2,397
Threads:
Unfortunately a statement that junior can’t comprehend along with his moron infested cabinet.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #743
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 610
Threads:
If Junior has a shovel and a map he might be able to pick up some free F-111s.

https://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/201...ill-australia/
hauritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #744
Defense Aficionado
Major General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver and Toronto
Posts: 2,397
Threads:
He would have lighten has shovel first and who knows how long it would take to wash the BS off.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #745
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,922
Threads:
If you're wanting a real belly laugh, there's a pile of Arrow animated videos appearing about how the Arrow is still the best choice for Canada. Youtube, never change
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #746
Defense Aficionado
Major General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver and Toronto
Posts: 2,397
Threads:
I am waiting for the Downfall video segment of Hitler finding out the arrow program has been cancelled.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #747
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 6
Threads:
The RAAF F/18-Classic acquisition plan must be close to getting inked as Boeing have now released the following Media Statement. In summary I think they are saying that we know the deal is on and we won't block it but they will not be changing their stance on product subsidies from trading partners.

"We have read reports that the Government of Canada is choosing to purchase used F/A-18 Classic Hornets from the Royal Australian Air Force in lieu of new Super Hornet fighter jets.

The Boeing Company respects the Canadian government’s decision and applauds the government’s continued use of a two engine fighter solution, which is a critical part of their northern Arctic border defense, NORAD cooperation, and coast to coast to coast security.

Although we will not have the opportunity to grow our supply base, industrial partnerships and jobs in Canada the way we would if Canada purchased new Super Hornets, we will continue to look to find productive ways to work together in the future. Boeing is fortunate to have an outstanding 100 years of partnership with Canada, which had culminated in our $4B annual economic impact in Canada, and we look forward to partnering for the next 100 years.

Our commitment to creating a level playing field in aerospace remains. Therefore, we will continue to support all efforts to build an environment of free and fair competition marked by compliance with agreed upon rules."
pgclift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #748
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 610
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgclift View Post
The RAAF F/18-Classic acquisition plan must be close to getting inked as Boeing have now released the following Media Statement. In summary I think they are saying that we know the deal is on and we won't block it but they will not be changing their stance on product subsidies from trading partners.

"We have read reports that the Government of Canada is choosing to purchase used F/A-18 Classic Hornets from the Royal Australian Air Force in lieu of new Super Hornet fighter jets.

The Boeing Company respects the Canadian government’s decision and applauds the government’s continued use of a two engine fighter solution, which is a critical part of their northern Arctic border defense, NORAD cooperation, and coast to coast to coast security.

Although we will not have the opportunity to grow our supply base, industrial partnerships and jobs in Canada the way we would if Canada purchased new Super Hornets, we will continue to look to find productive ways to work together in the future. Boeing is fortunate to have an outstanding 100 years of partnership with Canada, which had culminated in our $4B annual economic impact in Canada, and we look forward to partnering for the next 100 years.

Our commitment to creating a level playing field in aerospace remains. Therefore, we will continue to support all efforts to build an environment of free and fair competition marked by compliance with agreed upon rules."
I am not sure when the classic hornets will be available to Canada.

No 3 squadron will probably start getting the F-35 from next year with IOC expected by 2021. I am not sure whether or not means that the F-18s might start to become available from next year or whether they may be held for a few years until IOC is achieved with the F-35.

I think it is safe to assume that the worst frames will probably be retired the first.

I am wondering what will happen with the B models however. If the RAAF starts moving over to the F-35 it may retire a few of the F-18B a little earlier.

An airforce friend of mine says that the B models are in far better nick than the A models.
hauritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #749
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,922
Threads:
So, I thought Canada had a larger fleet of Hornets of which some were mothballed and others brought up to current standard - are there any which could be refurbished or have they all got a lot of time on them?

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea that the Canadian Govt is looking to buy second hand air frames of the same vintage that they already have.
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #750
Defense Aficionado
Major General
John Fedup's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver and Toronto
Posts: 2,397
Threads:
I think the original total was about 138 jets. There have been a number of losses over the years and the fleet is down to 80 jets of which have various degrees of upgrading. I believe 40 jets had centre barrel replacement. Of this number only twenty are likely available at any given time. The 40 remaining are apparently going to be further upgraded to last out to 2025 but as usual minimal details are in the public domain.

The plan for replacement was 65 new jets which the Libeeals jacked up to 88. I wonder how many used Hornets need to be added to the 40 in order for the RCAF to meet its commitment ls? Last year, 18 SHs was the number. I am guessing a new SH has a better readiness level than a 35 year old Hornet, something junior could care less about.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.