Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

This is a discussion on Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; I think the Air Force of Singapore should seek for two models, which mean split their planned inventory. They should ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old July 2nd, 2006   #76
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
seeking for new jets for Singapore

I think the Air Force of Singapore should seek for two models, which mean split their planned inventory.
They should get the F-15E Strike Eagle for multirole purpose and the EF Typhoon for air superiority. The Strike Eagle is a great plane but when facing against air superiority fighters it might be on the shorter lever.
The Typhoon is not only more advanced but also more agile in the skies and could enter service within the next 5 years. So maybe Singapore should get two F-15E squadrons now and purchase at least one squadron of EF Typhoon since their platforms are not on similar basis.
PLA2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006   #77
Private First Class
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphael
The RMAF is taking delivery of their Sukhoi 30MKMs some time this year. Perhaps around June - or July
Nope that time frame has changed, July-July was the delivery schedule, but now the first batch of Su-30MKMs won't be inducted into the RMAF service until March 2007, with all 18 aircraft to be recieved by June-July next year. Sukhoi blames Malaysia’s late selection of Thales for earlier forcing first deliveries to slip from 2006 until next year, but does not anticipate any problems with integrating the French avionics.

Quote:
hence, the sooner we can get our NGF, the better.
When again is the RSAF recieving their F-15SGs from Boeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazerLordz
Furthermore, if they would just look beyond the usual northern bogeyman, the real threat is not in our backyard, it is farther..
Anyways, I agree with what LazerLordz alluded to, the northern bogeyman is not a present threat to Singapore.
Subangite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006   #78
Defense Professional / Analyst
Private First Class
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
Nope that time frame has changed, July-July was the delivery schedule, but now the first batch of Su-30MKMs won't be inducted into the RMAF service until March 2007, with all 18 aircraft to be recieved by June-July next year. Sukhoi blames Malaysiaís late selection of Thales for earlier forcing first deliveries to slip from 2006 until next year, but does not anticipate any problems with integrating the French avionics.

When again is the RSAF recieving their F-15SGs from Boeing?

Anyways, I agree with what LazerLordz alluded to, the northern bogeyman is not a present threat to Singapore.

Correct. I would say that we need to get away from all these bogeymen, no matter north or south. We need to work together much more because no one will defend South East Asia fully but ourselves. Remember WW2...

Furthermore, at the recent SAF Day, Teo Chee Hean mentioned that the ballistic missile threat to East Asia might affect SEA one day, due to the range and other indirect effect on our stability.
LazerLordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006   #79
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Well I never liked considering Msia a threat to Singapore. Not too healthy for bilateral ties. But I do understand that there is a need for a rough equivalent in military strength in order to maintain a healthy respect for each other. =)
Zaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006   #80
Private First Class
Threads:
Quote:
Well I never liked considering Msia a threat to Singapore. Not too healthy for bilateral ties. But I do understand that there is a need for a rough equivalent in military strength in order to maintain a healthy respect for each other. =)
Yes, especially considering the RMAF Su-30MKMs entering service now in 2007 and the RSAF F-15SG in 2008, But the chances of that they would be pitted against each other in a combat scenario I think is VERY slim. The closest thing would be the annual five-power naval and air exercises of the FPDA.
Subangite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006   #81
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Singapore selects PC21 as new trainer

Deleted

Last edited by weasel1962; October 20th, 2008 at 12:31 AM.
weasel1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007   #82
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Come June 2008, the RSAF will replace its current batch of Marchetti S-211s with a brand new trainer aircraft - the Pilatus PC-21. The S-211 has been the RSAF's basic trainer for a good 22 years.

The RSAF awarded a service contract to Lockheed Martin Simulation, Training and Support (LMSTS) on 3 Nov to support the Basic Wings Course.

The course aims to provide pilots with the knowledge and skills of basic flying before they progress to advanced aircraft training.

LMSTS will supply and maintain a fleet of Pilatus PC-21 aircraft and a suite of ground-based training systems to 130 Squadron (130 SQN) in Pearce, Australia.

Pilatus Aircraft Ltd will supply 19 of its latest PC-21 advanced turboprop trainers, while Hawker Pacific Ltd will provide aircraft maintenance services.

Explaining the RSAF's decision to replace the Marchetti S-211 basic trainer, LTC Philip Chionh, Head Flying Training Branch, Air Training Department, said: "The S-211 is already more than 22 years old, and as a result its maintenance costs have been rising steadily.

"The RSAF has embarked on a flying training transformation to replace our ageing trainers with a more cost-effective and efficient training solution."

Real value

What is it about the PC-21 aircraft that makes it a better choice than other turboprop trainers in the market?

It was developed as a completely new training system both in terms of capability and life-cycle cost.

With its superior aerodynamic performance and a more powerful and cost-effective integrated training system, the PC-21 allows trainees to take in a larger proportion of the flying training syllabus.

The trainer plane will also incorporate avionics that allow the simulation of specific frontline missions. Pilot trainees can then develop the necessary capacity and skills with the complex systems operations and realistic tactical scenarios.

These advantages will mean substantial savings for every flying hour that the PC-21 replaces from a jet syllabus.

Expensive jet hours can now be reduced while the trainees become more proficient pilots with the focus on frontline skills. Flight safety during the realistic training scenarios will also be enhanced.

The PC-21 has been well-received by many of its customers. One of them even commented that the PC-21 is “not an off-the-shelf aircraft with an off-the-shelf avionics upgrade”.

Modern cockpit, effective training

The new basic trainer has a full glass cockpit which is fitted with three active-matrix liquid crystal displays (AMLCD). The three multi-function displays comprise a Primary Flight Display (PFD), which provides information like speed, altitude, and navigation information, and two Multi-Function Displays (MFD).

The MFDs have a large variety of page formats, including master systems pages, moving map and tactical displays.

The fully digital glass-cockpit environment of the PC-21, which mimics modern jet fighters, is capable of interacting with any frontline type and this allows trainee pilots to acquire mission management skills relevant to the frontline aircraft type and role they are selected for.

Perfect airborne classroom

Pilot trainees will also benefit from the Embedded Simulation and Training suite that comes with the PC-21 aircraft.

The aircraft software load can be modified according to the requirements of the student’s phase of training. The suite not only provides cross-platform cockpit emulation and weapon simulation, but also allows trainees to get a feel of how radar and electronic warfare is conducted and fought.

With the decoupling of the cockpit, the instructors can manipulate what can be seen on the display screen of the trainees and increase training effectiveness for each individual student.

Instructors can create simulated non-flight safety critical system failures or even data degradation. Similarly, they can also generate synthetic air-to-air radar target and electronic warfare.

Said LTC Chionh: "The new aircraft will allow us to better train our pilots to meet the demands of the increasingly sophisticated frontline aircraft, like the F-15, AH-64 and S70B, that are coming in to the RSAF inventory."

With such advanced technologies in-built, the PC-21 aircraft is certainly a cut above the rest, and subsequent batches of pilot trainees can only get more proficient and professional.

Jet real - Pilatus PC-21
(Source: Singapore Ministry of Defence; issued Jan. 11, 2007)

Absolutely an awesome aircraft
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/pc_21/
Jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007   #83
Aussie Digger
No Avatar
Threads:
There's some chance Australia will replace her PC-9's with this aircraft in coming years too. I wonder if RAAF and RSAF can work together on this at all and save a bit of coin?

Probably not I suspect...
Old January 12th, 2007   #84
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger View Post
There's some chance Australia will replace her PC-9's with this aircraft in coming years too. I wonder if RAAF and RSAF can work together on this at all and save a bit of coin?

Iím not sure if regional cooperation is practical, but the PC-21 is the benchmark for the rest of the field to follow.

Iím pretty sure that this is the aircraft on which future UK military pilots will be trained.

As a cheap COIN platform it has merit, but Iím not sure that Oz needs this capability. However, if you are trying to train combat pilots, there is no harm in starting too soon, especially if the price is right. (I have dropped practice bombs from a Chipmunk).

Having training aircraft with a minimum level of combat capability (using instructor pilots) has benefits, reminding these pilots that they still are (or could be) in the front line and also a chance for graduating pilots to have a little fun.

Chris
chrisrobsoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007   #85
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
It would be nice to see the RAF getting PC-21s, and deploying them in Australia, perhaps in a three party joint training scheme, with Australia and Singapore. Training in Australia would be popular with RAF pilots, and would benefit from the good weather, rather than training in the increasingly congested UK airspace.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007   #86
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:

Hopefully as they will be based at Pearce airbase.
The PC-21 is the benchmark for the rest of the field to follow,
usually the RAAF would want the best you would hope!!!!!!
It would fit in perfectly into the Hawk-Hornet/F111 training sceme.
Maybe even less hours on the Hawks??
We will have to wait and see.
Jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007   #87
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:

What sort of time frame are we looking at AD?

I can't find any reference to a PC9 replacement in DOD publications but I may have missed it.

Certainly the PC21 looks to be an excellent aircraft and a logical PC9 replacement for the RAAF.

Cheers
Tasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007   #88
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
What sort of time frame are we looking at AD?

I can't find any reference to a PC9 replacement in DOD publications but I may have missed it.

Certainly the PC21 looks to be an excellent aircraft and a logical PC9 replacement for the RAAF.

Cheers

Some light reading is attached for those interested as it appeared in Australian Aviation's jan 07 issue.

The BIG news out of the Singapore deal was not so much the PC21 selection, but the fact that the training of the pilots will be managed under contract by LockMart.

Cheers

Magoo
Attached Files
File Type: doc Private Wings.doc (36.5 KB, 11 views)
Old January 13th, 2007   #89
Ship Watcher
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Some light reading is attached for those interested as it appeared in Australian Aviation's jan 07 issue.

The BIG news out of the Singapore deal was not so much the PC21 selection, but the fact that the training of the pilots will be managed under contract by LockMart.

Cheers

Magoo
Thanks Magoo. Interesting reading. From the article it seems that the RAAF is not adverse to a similar approach. How likely do you think it is that they would contract out the pilot training at Pearce? I guess this would be a logical follow on to the CT4 contract with BAE Flying College for basic pilot training, if the airforce is happy with that program.

Cheers

Last edited by Tasman; January 13th, 2007 at 08:08 AM. Reason: incorrect wording
Tasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007   #90
Captain
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasman View Post
Thanks Magoo. Interesting reading. From the article it seems that the RAAF is not adverse to a similar approach. How likely do you think it is that they would contract out the pilot training at Pearce? I guess this would be a logical follow on to the CT4 contract with BAE Flying College for basic pilot training, if the airforce is happy with that program.

Cheers
Hey Tas

It's not the actual pilot training that is contracted out by Singapore - that's still done by RSAF pilots. It's the aircraft, flight line ops, maintenance, course-ware, sims and CBTs, student accommodation and other training facilities etc that is contracted out, so the RSAF only needs to worry about getting trainees and trainers together.

As for the RAAF - I suspect they will be quite open to the idea. The PC-9's maintenance is already subbed out, as are many of the non-core business functions at Pearce. The syllabus is already in place and would only need massaging for the PC-21 unless they decide on a new direction.
Plus, there would be large economies of scale to he had if we were to combine ours and the RSAF's training ops, especially as the PC-21 is already looked upon favourably.

Cheers

Magoo

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: