Prospect of Swedish participation in South Korea's KFX?

datafuser

According to the article "Saab, EADS Offer Stealth Designs For South Korea's KFX" published in the October 29th issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology, Saab has offered at least two options descended from its Gripen. Each option uses the Gripen canard-delta platform and has internal weapon stowage to reduce the radar cross-section.

As if to confirm Saab's interest in the KFX, Air Force Colonel Daeyeol Lee, head of the Air System Development Team at the Agency for Defense Development of South Korea, mentioned at a conference held in Seoul on October 16th that Saab wishes to take part in the joint development of the KFX and also wants to have at least 10% of work share in return for the investment of up to 30% of the total cost.

Has there ever been an aerospace company that 'invested' its own money in a foreign country's fighter project? If so, why?

Furthermore, is there any chance of the Swedish government formally backing Saab, by committing itself to buy some new manned-fighters that will come out of the KFX project for the Swedish air force after 2020 or earlier?

Only four companies - Saab, EADS, Lockheed Martin and Boeing - have submitted proposals for the KFX and I guess Saab is most desperate to win this to keep its manned-fighter business afloat after the Gripen.

I am sceptical about the prospect of a de facto joint fighter development between Sweden and South Korea, but there are some hopeful speculations in Korean discussion boards already. So I would like to have third-party views, especially from Swedish posters.

Thanks in advance,
Sunho

tphuang

Super Moderator
According to the article "Saab, EADS Offer Stealth Designs For South Korea's KFX" published in the October 29th issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology, Saab has offered at least two options descended from its Gripen. Each option uses the Gripen canard-delta platform and has internal weapon stowage to reduce the radar cross-section.

As if to confirm Saab's interest in the KFX, Air Force Colonel Daeyeol Lee, head of the Air System Development Team at the Agency for Defense Development of South Korea, mentioned at a conference held in Seoul on October 16th that Saab wishes to take part in the joint development of the KFX and also wants to have at least 10% of work share in return for the investment of up to 30% of the total cost.

Has there ever been an aerospace company that 'invested' its own money in a foreign country's fighter project? If so, why?

Furthermore, is there any chance of the Swedish government formally backing Saab, by committing itself to buy some new manned-fighters that will come out of the KFX project for the Swedish air force after 2020 or earlier?

Only four companies - Saab, EADS, Lockheed Martin and Boeing - have submitted proposals for the KFX and I guess Saab is most desperate to win this to keep its manned-fighter business afloat after the Gripen.

I am sceptical about the prospect of a de facto joint fighter development between Sweden and South Korea, but there are some hopeful speculations in Korean discussion boards already. So I would like to have third-party views, especially from Swedish posters.

Thanks in advance,
Sunho
Not trying to be harsh here, but the Koreans are simply trying too ambitious of a project. Looking at the design floating out there, it doesn't really look that stealthy (especially with no internal weapon carriage). Just buy F-35s.

Ryttare

Swedish politicians has clearly said that Gripen is the last all Swedish manned combat aircraft. So according to that Saab either has to find a partner for next generation fighter or go all UAV. So Saab is probably very interested in finding that kind of partner.

But Gripen is meant to be operational in the Swedish airforce at least until 2040 and until then the demand is for upgrades with AESA radar and a stronger engine. Stealth is probably not a requirement from SwAF in the foreseeable future.

datafuser

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Swedish politicians has clearly said that Gripen is the last all Swedish manned combat aircraft. So according to that Saab either has to find a partner for next generation fighter or go all UAV. So Saab is probably very interested in finding that kind of partner.

But Gripen is meant to be operational in the Swedish airforce at least until 2040 and until then the demand is for upgrades with AESA radar and a stronger engine. Stealth is probably not a requirement from SwAF in the foreseeable future.
Thanks a lot for the reply.

So Saab should be definitely interested in the KFX project but the Swedish air force has no requirement for new fighters.

Could you please point me to news articles or policy papers about the future of the Swedish air force, preferably in English?

Thanks in advacne,
Sunho

rjmaz1

The aircraft will be a failure considering it will have to compete against the JSF...

I dont see why South Korea wouldn't buy F-35's... the US surely will apply pressure?

Saab must be really clutching at straws.

It seems that the next generation of aircraft will costs significantly more which will result in the smaller manufacturers not being able to afford to make competitive aircraft.

I highly doubt South Korea with the help of saab would be able to produce a 5th generation aircraft. The development money will go down the drain with poor end product.

Saab should try and sell its Gripen and even offer production in India to ensure its long term future development.

Saab should look for a larger consortium of countries to development something that wont have to compete against the F-35.

The European Neuron project is a good start and may provide a very bright future for Saab.

Once Mirage 2000 and F-16 production stops the Gripen will be the only budget manned fighter available. Alot of smaller Eurpoean countries have shown interest and it could make quite a few sales in Africa in the next 10 years.

The money Saab would put into this South Korean project could be better spend subsidizing the Gripens purchase price making it even more attractive on the current market.