Predator share of total UAV amount

bastik

Hey,

Since I am writing a coursework on drone policy, I came across a newspaper article, claiming that the Pentagon is in control of a fleet of roughly 19.000 UAVs. Can anyone tell me, whether that number is accurate and how many of them are Predator drones?

Thanks in advance

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Hey,

Since I am writing a coursework on drone policy, I came across a newspaper article, claiming that the Pentagon is in control of a fleet of roughly 19.000 UAVs. Can anyone tell me, whether that number is accurate and how many of them are Predator drones?

Thanks in advance
Well according to Hollywood that great source of accuracy on the military and in particular the Homeland tv show the CIA has eight or nine thousand Predators! LOL. In reality there were only just over 400 Predators built to date of which less than 100 are in the CIA. But if you want to add them all up in precise numbers of makes and models go to Wikipedia:

General Atomics MQ-1 Predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

King Wally

I would hazard a guess that the bulk of that UAV number is made up of relatively cheep small intel drones.

Its a really diverse group of machines really, from tiny little UAV's with a camera attached to the front to massive aircraft size units with radars and weapons payload etc.

Good work on your project mate.