New here, trying to get in as a pilot from overseas

Ironside

Little about me. Ex US Army soldier, served for 4 years, got out and want to enlist in the Aussie Army now as a Tiger Pilot. I'm a dual citizen of Australia/America. Right now I'm living in the USA.
I've spoken with some high ranking Aussie Army officials in D.C and they're getting the ball rolling for me but I know it's not going to be a speedy process.
I'm aiming for the SSO path, any tips would be appreciated.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well don't expect anything too quickly. We haven't got many tigers operational yet.

Have you done any flying in the US? If so there may be other avenues...

Ironside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well don't expect anything too quickly. We haven't got many tigers operational yet.

Have you done any flying in the US? If so there may be other avenues...
I've been trying to find out how many were in operation. Can't seem to find anything past 2004 when you guys got your first 22 Tigers delivered.
Do yall still have Kiowas in operation or have they been completely phased out?

No flying in the US but if all else fails I'll re-enlist in the U.S Army as a pilot, would rather move back to Aus though.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC officers in the US armed forces can not hold dual citizenship so you may be looking at denouncing your Australian citizenship before you can be considered for WOFT. The WOFT program is not easy to get into by the way, and is not an "enlistment".

Having worked with the Australians and others in the past, with a much smaller force the slots for flight training tend to be much more competitive than in the US.

Ironside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IIRC officers in the US armed forces can not hold dual citizenship so you may be looking at denouncing your Australian citizenship before you can be considered for WOFT. The WOFT program is not easy to get into by the way, and is not an "enlistment".

Having worked with the Australians and others in the past, with a much smaller force the slots for flight training tend to be much more competitive than in the US.
I know it's not enlisting, just using it as a general term :)
I didn't know that you couldn't hold duel citizenship as a US officer, I'll have to look into that if it gets to that point.