Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

New Chinese 5th Generatio Aircraft

This is a discussion on New Chinese 5th Generatio Aircraft within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Hi AFBrat, thanks for the warm welcome, that's the first thing I did - introduce myself, and made it a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old February 15th, 2013   #91
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Hi AFBrat, thanks for the warm welcome, that's the first thing I did - introduce myself, and made it a point to digest the rules properly!!

Well, high thrust density, light weight - won't get there without tight tolerance.
I was just looking at powerplant history as a whole and thought maybe we should re-visit some of those earlier ideas, motorjet for e.g.
Looking at air power mission requirements in general, it's pretty clear no single feature is 'ultimate', i.e.: LO/stealth, speed, payload capacity, etc are all mission dependent.
Maybe a non traditional turbojet approach is less fuel efficient or a tad heavier, but if I can get the power I need cheaply, in quantity, right in my own backyard - why not.

It's a great challenge to make reliable turbine blades to continuosly operate at temperature beyond approx. 1500C, that's simply because the blades are subjected to that condition continuosly.
(Temperatures are higher in ICE, but they are cyclical, so the engine survives!).
Getting a gas/diesel engine to spin compressor and adding fuel would do the job too - that's a motorjet, no turbine downstream.
Himal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: