Mongolian Air Force and Air Defense

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a well known subject.

Mongolia is one of the few export customers for the Pechora-2 complex, which incorporates upgraded elements, and components from the S-300 to upgrade the venerable S-125. Apparently they took delivery of them in 2010. This is the first real SAM they have. Other then that their GBAD consists of AAA (guided and unguided) and old MANPADS.

ЗРК "Печора-2М" на военном параде в Улан-Баторе
bmpd -

Supposedly they still have 10 MiG-21s still in service, but flight status is unclear. There were some plans for acquiring 5 MiG-29s from Russia, back in 2011, but so far nothing has materialized.

They are also in negotiations for 3 C-130Js. They visited the US, and were familiarized with the aircraft.

http://dmva.alaska.gov/content/Pres...ongolia for aviation maintenance exchange.pdf
bmpd -

Their main fleet consists of 11 Mi-24s, 11 Mi-8s, and 2 Mi-171Es.

Waseb Al-Qisuin

Edit:just saw how old this thread is, still interesting
Last time I checked pics of the mongolian Mig-21s or 'Mongols' they didnt look operational sitting on a seemingly not operational looking airfield.
They operate two Su-27SMK and two Su-27UBK (the UBKs in what i find to be beautiful shemes). I dont know how much late model Mig-29s come close to Su-27s rangewise. The mongolians have to cover a vast territory with a small force that logically needs a fighter of the long range intercepting type.

The soviets didnt like how pricey the Mig-29 had to become to perform as it was projected to have a large cost advantage over the Su-27, which just didnt materialize. Would be interesting to know if and why mongolians will receive Migs, as they operate Su-27s already.

Toblerone

Banned Member
Wow, this is a huge country (twice the size of Turkey) of only 3 million population, half of which is in its capital! This is news to me. :eek