MIG 31 perfect replacement for Iranina F14s?

Would the MIG 31 suit the requirements of the Iranian airforce? With mach 2.8 performance, a very powerful radar, bvr missiles, the ability to network with other aircraft and function as a mini AWACS in addition to its great range - I think in numbers it would completely transform the IRIAF's capability.
It could pose a significant deterrence to Israeli F15s and F16s and would be a major headache for U.S F18s. It is also well suited to taking out cruise missiles or at least alert ground crews of their existence and trajectories in advance. Its speed and altitude superiority would allow it to conduct hit and run tactics with impunity, and Iran's strategic depth added to the MIG31's good range would give the IRIAF substantial tactical advantage.

Comrade69

Banned Member
Hmm well I dont know as much as some of the experts do on this forum,but I got to disagree with the part where you said the Mig-31 would cause headaches for the F-16 and F-18..

Maybe somewhat to the F-16, but its not even close for the F-18

The F-18 has superior radar and in terms of RCS, compared to the Mig-31 the F-18 is almost stealth....

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just about any current fourth gen multi-role fighter would be a great replacement for that handful of ancient Tomcats. That having been said, a MiG-31E would probably be the weakest option out of all the ones out there. It's got non-existent air-to-ground capability, the electronics are ancient, the fuel efficiency terrible, it's got the maneuverability of a school bus, and Iran has no neighbors against which it could be used in its intended role.

Ignoring the obvious glaring issue of practicality. (the type is out of production, is only around in Russia and Kazakhstan, and is not cheap to refurbish, never mind those pesky sanctions...)

Don't get me wrong, pure personal preference, I find the MiG-31 very appealing. It's sleek, large, powerful, and at it's creation was an incredibly advanced piece of aerospace engineering. It's just not particularly relevant to a country like Iran, 30 years later.

That having been said, if Iran could acquire a decent number of MiG-31BMs they would still be a lot better then the hodge-podge of outdated stuff they fly nowadays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just about any current fourth gen multi-role fighter would be a great replacement for that handful of ancient Tomcats. That having been said, a MiG-31E would probably be the weakest option out of all the ones out there. It's got non-existent air-to-ground capability, the electronics are ancient, the fuel efficiency terrible, it's got the maneuverability of a school bus, and Iran has no neighbors against which it could be used in its intended role.

Ignoring the obvious glaring issue of practicality. (the type is out of production, is only around in Russia and Kazakhstan, and is not cheap to refurbish, never mind those pesky sanctions...)

Don't get me wrong, pure personal preference, I find the MiG-31 very appealing. It's sleek, large, powerful, and at it's creation was an incredibly advanced piece of aerospace engineering. It's just not particularly relevant to a country like Iran, 30 years later.

That having been said, if Iran could acquire a decent number of MiG-31BMs they would still be a lot better then the hodge-podge of outdated stuff they fly nowadays.
My concern is that even with modern air superiority fighter, Israeli and U.S pilots would more than likely outfly their Iranian counterparts. Simply put, the Iranians will not be able to contest air superiority in any meaningful sense. F-4s and Su-24s are more than adequate for basic strike missions.
The MIG 31 is primarily a defensive aircraft and what it does is give the Iranians more tactical options and a limited deterrence capability. MIG 31BM would be the one to go for of course.
The MIG 31BM has an uprated radar and avionics system - it actually has arguably one of the best radars in the world, it certainly is amongst the most powerful. And it carries the R77 Vympel BVR stand off A2A missile, whilst being able to track 4 targets at once.
For example, imagine a flight of F-18s are launched with a strike package intended for Iranian targets, MIG 31s launch from a safe base in the north Iran they climb high and supercruise and detect the F-18s from <100Km away, they launch their vympels and bug out - forcing the F-18s to drop their tanks and strike package and return to their carrier. F-18s cannot respond to the MIG 31s as they are way too high and way too fast (assuming the F-18s even detect the MIG 31).
Rememebr the MIG 31 isn't a dogfighter and was never intended to be, it is strictly a defensive weapon designed the thwart enemy incursions.

the road runner

For example, imagine a flight of F-18s are launched with a strike package intended for Iranian targets, MIG 31s launch from a safe base in the north Iran they climb high and supercruise and detect the F-18s from <100Km away
So the US Navy send in its F-18 with no E-2 AWAC's?

Iran would be better off purchasing SU-30 ++ There are large numbers in service,with India and China.

Haavarla

The Mig-31 is an defensive platform more then anything as mention here.
It was never intended to operate as a independed unit, not within the SU AF, and certainly not within the VVS today.
So for Iran to buy 4-6 of em stupid. Its too expensive to operate and has no support from the Iran AF, sinse they are hopless outnumbered and outdated.

Also the upgraded Zaslon-M have 1.4m diameter (larger) antenna, 50% to 100% better performance than Zaslon. In April 1994 used with an R-37 to hit a target at 300 km distance. Search range 400 km versus a 19/20 sq m RCS target. Tracks 24 targets at once, engages six. Supposedly able to engage launched Pershing-2 missiles in flight with long-range R-37 active radar-guided missiles. The back-seater's controls are replaced with modern multi-function displays. Its electronic countermeasures capabilities have also been upgraded, with new ECM pods on the wingtips.

If you want to buy Foxhound, the BM version is a must. And Russia wont export those anyway.

Didn't Iran AF loose the one and only Awacs in a crash?
Much better to go for new Migs or Su-30's.

An important thing to consider is that there is an arms embargo blocking the sale of any offensive weapons to Iran. As the MIG 31 is a defensive platform , it maybe one of the only significant platforms available for the Iranians.
If I was an Israeli or an American military planner I would be very annoyed if Iran had 50-100 MIG 31BMs.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't, I'd be dancing a jig, shouting "woohoo, they just acquired a hugely expensive maintenance hog!"

Then I'd sit there ticking off crashes on the calendar - I'd give them til this time next year before they were out of bits or had suffered enough attrition to bring the fleet below 50%.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Russia wont export those anyway.
I suspect they would, if a serious customer showed up. Over 200 MiG-31s are sitting in storage. An upgrade and export contract for them would be a great opportunity to make metal on what is otherwise scrap metal. They almost exported a handful of MiG-31Es to Syria.

Iran would be better off purchasing SU-30 ++ There are large numbers in service,with India and China.
Bingo. A small bucket of Su-30MK2s would be much better for Iran.

If I was an Israeli or an American military planner I would be very annoyed if Iran had 50-100 MIG 31BMs.
Sure. As soon as they get the billions of dollars it would cost to make it happen. Consider pilot training, refitting bases and facilities with the gear to support the BMs. Then there's munitions, and spares, for an aircraft that's out of production...

lucinator

An important thing to consider is that there is an arms embargo blocking the sale of any offensive weapons to Iran. As the MIG 31 is a defensive platform , it maybe one of the only significant platforms available for the Iranians.
No its a short ranged fighter best suited for air interdiction and interception, that by no means qualifies it as defensive equipment.

What Iran really should invest its money in is better SAM's, they are alot cheaper than aircraft and probably more effective at providing a nusense to USAF or IAF fighters.

Or they could invest what little money they have in manufacturing infrastructure so they can keep flying what they already have.

najaf47

Iran has a number of MiG-31BM. that received from Russia until 2003 and upgraded in 2010 and they hide them fly

Quiller

Iran has a number of MiG-31BM. that received from Russia until 2003 and upgraded in 2010 and they hide them fly
They hide them? While flying them? Where do they fly them, underground?

If Iran had Mig-31's western intelligence agencies would know it by now, especially if they received them in 2003. Iran is not a totally closed society as is North Korea, for example. There is so much active and passive field (meaning HUMINT) intelligence gathering going on inside Iran, plus cyber plus satellites plus ELINT plus plus plus.

Hiding even a squadron of Mig-31's would be a very tall order for Iran... unless they were crated up as parts.

najaf47

They hide them? While flying them? Where do they fly them, underground?

If Iran had Mig-31's western intelligence agencies would know it by now, especially if they received them in 2003. Iran is not a totally closed society as is North Korea, for example. There is so much active and passive field (meaning HUMINT) intelligence gathering going on inside Iran, plus cyber plus satellites plus ELINT plus plus plus.

Hiding even a squadron of Mig-31's would be a very tall order for Iran... unless they were crated up as parts.
Said satellite?!! I ask you, where were they when these satellites into the sky and R. Q 170 Iran to provide information and take care of it does not get to Iran!!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Najaf is joking. Or at least I hope he is.... that having been said there isn't much left to discuss here. Unless someone has something of value to add to this rather insane conversation, I'm going to lock this.

smdw912

The Mig-31 is an defensive platform more then anything as mention here.
It was never intended to operate as a independed unit, not within the SU AF, and certainly not within the VVS today.
So for Iran to buy 4-6 of em stupid. Its too expensive to operate and has no support from the Iran AF, sinse they are hopless outnumbered and outdated.

Also the upgraded Zaslon-M have 1.4m diameter (larger) antenna, 50% to 100% better performance than Zaslon. In April 1994 used with an R-37 to hit a target at 300 km distance. Search range 400 km versus a 19/20 sq m RCS target. Tracks 24 targets at once, engages six. Supposedly able to engage launched Pershing-2 missiles in flight with long-range R-37 active radar-guided missiles. The back-seater's controls are replaced with modern multi-function displays. Its electronic countermeasures capabilities have also been upgraded, with new ECM pods on the wingtips.

If you want to buy Foxhound, the BM version is a must. And Russia wont export those anyway.

Didn't Iran AF loose the one and only Awacs in a crash?
Much better to go for new Migs or Su-30's.
As well as having a pilot who can make the right decisions without relying on artificial intelligence are key to a successful mission. Both are in need of each other to carry out a safe and effective mission, that is why one overcoming the over will never happen in my opinion.

the concerned

With a sqdn of raptors in the Uae i don't think Mig-31's would be too much of a problem. anyway why put aircraft in harms way when you could take out airbases with a cruise missile strike from a ssgn.

with the way things are in syria now the goverment should pay closer attention to what planes they have or they might come back one night to find them looking like this,
View attachment 5471
Using the MIG 31 as a super sonic awacs, capable of supporting other assets offensively would provided any user of the MIG 31 immense situational awareness and flexibilty. I imagine that MIG 31s could be used to support flights of JF17s providing long range radar info, co-ordination and also fire support.
Combining JF17s with small numbers of MIGs would make the whole package cost effective.

Last edited: