operative range, until now. The fighter joined the Iranian Air Force in
1990, when the opportunity for practical testing of its capability was
virtually lost because the Iraqi imposed war on Iran was already over. The
Department of Self-Sufficiency of the Iranian Air Force, however, kept
working hard on the implementation of a project to upgrade the fighter's
fueling system. Despite obstacles and problems, the inventive engineers of
the Iranian Air Force succeeded in turning MIG -29 into a strategic
fighter jet by improving its fueling system such that the fighter is now
capable of handling a five-hour flight without landing.

In order to appreciate the courageous endeavor of both the Iranian
designers and engineers of the project, one should know that the MIG-29
was not initially designed for aerial refueling by the manufacturer and,
consequently, there were no input connection points for fuel transfusion
on the wings or on the fuselage.

The shortage made the Iranian engineers go through a series of
accurate, sophisticated, and complicated calculations to modify the
fighter's various systems such as its electronic, electrical, wiring,
weaponry, engine, and fueling systems. Each one of these systems had
practically brought its own limitation into the project so that the
engineers had to redesign all related parts and the systems installed
inside the cockpit, wings, and the fuselage. Special testers for every
modified system was also built. Those parts and systems were reinstalled
after passing specific tests.

The main advantage of the project appears as the ability of the
Iranian engineers in taking all necessary factors into consideration and
adapting them with the original graphs of the fighter to make sure that
all systems would function automatically during aerial fuel transfusion
without putting the pilot neither in physical danger nor psychological
stress.

The project achieved two goals simultaneously: First, it strengthened
the maneuvering capability of the fighter jet by increasing both its
operative penetrating power and reconnaissance time length.

Secondly, the project has virtually eliminated the need for building
air bases by the border lines for landing-refueling-take off purposes.
Those achievements not only have remarkably cut the maintenance costs but
also have saved considerable sum of hard currency for the nation.

During the fourth stage of the exhibition of aerial fuel transfusion,
a key Iranian Air Force designer announced that the Islamic Republic of
Iran was ready and willing to transfer the technology of turning MIG -29
into an aerially refillable fighter to those friendly nations who own the
fighter planes.

Fulcrum

Nice pics.
Someone know how many MiG-29,and of wich versions IRIAF operates?
Does Iran put back in service Fulcrums that have flees from Iraq during Desert Storm?

Patzek

Iran doesn't have any Mig 29's.

I was active in the IIAF forum in www.iiaf.net before it get down, about 4 months ago
and they all always said they no longer have mig 29's.

they're only hope is the F14A'a tomcats.

now

hello guys i am new to this forum so hi to you all
that is right Fulcuram Iran bought the mig 29s afther the 8 year war with Iraq. the provider was the Solviate union not russia. Iran also got about 5 MIG 29s from Iraqi pilots who defected during the "II gulf war one". and Iran still operates the type that is a known fact. but as to "the oly hope" idea yes f14 are mostly the only hope since IRIAF does not like MIG 29 and MIG 29's engian lacks the endeorance and has a slightly week radar. but if IRIAF had AWACS then MIG 29 would be a considerbly a good assate. but IRIAF still operates about 53 MIG 29s.

P.A.F

welcome aboard defencetalk.com 'now'.;). thanx for that information. seems like u know alot about the iranian air force. keep discussing and enjoy.

Tallgeese

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Iran should have purchased more MiG-29s a long time ago. Better late than never. For them, another 100 MiG-29s this time in MiG-29SMT2 guise would be excellent & they could also use some uprated RD-33K engines (with 19,400 lb of thrust each) plus some R-77s & R-73E/HMS. However, the Iranians also need to acquire an AEW&C aircraft & good intellegence gathering systems. They should at least try to procure them from Brazil or via Brazil as they make the excellent EMB-145MP/P-99 ASW platforms. I'd say try to get the ERIEYE via Brazil!

adsH

Tallgeese said:
I'd say try to get the ERIEYE via Brazil!
it's never going to happen Brazil would never do that if they were to do that then they'll only end up irritating the Swedes, EU and the US.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Well the new Iranian Government is focusing on Air Defence. I wish rather than just focusing & increasing Air Defence they focus more on modernization.

Iran plans to focus on missiles, air defences

TEHRAN: Iran's main military objectives are the development of its air defences as well as its ballistic missiles, the man nominated to be the Islamic republic's defence minister said yesterday. In a confirmation hearing before parliament, Mostafa Mohammad Najjar outlined "developing and expanding the air defence system and missiles" as "highlights of the programmes of the defence industries".

The speech by Najjar, who like President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a veteran of the elite Revolutionary Guards, also outlined the development of "nanotechnology, information, developing modern ammunitions ... and equipment for electronic warfare" as priorities for the defence sector.

Tehran's rapid progress on its ballistic missile programme is a major cause for concern among the international community, with Israel alarmed over Iran's nuclear activities.

Iran said it achieved a major breakthrough in May when it successfully tested a new solid fuel motor for its arsenal of medium-range ballistic missiles. The new technology could be built into Iran's Shahab-3 missile, which the Islamic republic says already has a range of at least 2,000 km. Military analysts also say Iran has developed a strong air defence system amid speculation that the United States or Israel could attempt air or missile strikes against its controversial nuclear facilities.
The Iranian parliament has since Sunday been hearing from each member of Ahmadinejad's 21-man cabinet
Source: DefenceTalk News
Link: http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_003142.php

I guess Iran should move away from F-14s & purchase Air Crafts like Su-30 instead + MiG-35 if possible other wise lates of MiG-29 Series.

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
SABRE said:
Well the new Iranian Government is focusing on Air Defence. I wish rather than just focusing & increasing Air Defence they focus more on modernization.

I guess Iran should move away from F-14s & purchase Air Crafts like Su-30 instead + MiG-35 if possible other wise lates of MiG-29 Series.

[/left]
Do they have that much money for these purchases this will cost them a large amount of money and other thing .Can Russian supply Iran AC's in this situation i mean to say that US might be preparing to attack

Tallgeese

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The Iranians could do much better than to just try to reverse engineer the F-5E & F-4E into 'new' fighters. Rather than simply trying to re-manufacture old designs the Iranians should have tried to modify the F-5E's fuselage to fit the RD-93 turbofan but to keep the basic chassis of the fighter. Likewise, they should have (given that they have advanced composite technologies) attempted to lighten the weight. Subcontracting electronics to the Russians & assistance plus engineering & quality assurance could also have been sought. But instead, they are just trying to re-make is already obsolete!

What a waste of time.

They could also have gotten more MiG-29s from canceled VVS orders & put them up to MiG-29SMT2 guise plus get at least two or three A-50Es from the Russians & an Il-78 for IFR. Heck, the Su-30MK & Su-35 should be bought to replace the F-4D/E & supplant the F-14A which, I believe should be replaced by some next generation Russian fighter.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Tallgeese said:
The Iranians could do much better than to just try to reverse engineer the F-5E & F-4E into 'new' fighters. Rather than simply trying to re-manufacture old designs the Iranians should have tried to modify the F-5E's fuselage to fit the RD-93 turbofan but to keep the basic chassis of the fighter. Likewise, they should have (given that they have advanced composite technologies) attempted to lighten the weight. Subcontracting electronics to the Russians & assistance plus engineering & quality assurance could also have been sought. But instead, they are just trying to re-make is already obsolete!

What a waste of time.

They could also have gotten more MiG-29s from canceled VVS orders & put them up to MiG-29SMT2 guise plus get at least two or three A-50Es from the Russians & an Il-78 for IFR. Heck, the Su-30MK & Su-35 should be bought to replace the F-4D/E & supplant the F-14A which, I believe should be replaced by some next generation Russian fighter.
Yes indeedy...Waste of Time. They should have & should buy Russian MiG-29 & even better they should go for Su-27/30.

According to some sites on the net Iran did have some MiG-29 & Su-27, I have even met a retired Iranian AF pilot who has flew on both F-14 & MiG-29. But latest report say they no longer have MiG-29 & handful of Su-27s they had.

There main line of Defence is F-14 which they have been upgrading with Russia. Analysts say Iranian F-14 may still have some good A2A missiles but there are only 20 of them left from the origional number of 80 (77 delivered). So what they have done is that they canabalized some their F-14s to keep others flying.

Only 33 F-4s remain from number of 300 or some thing & 40 some thing F-5s from 200 some thing. They have a single F-16s which cant fly & I believe might have seazed to existance. All the maintainance equipment & other things they had recieved in post F-16 arrival period were sold to Pakistan & F-16s were dropped from purchase list, all after the Islamic Revolution.

There should be no doubt that 20 remaining F-14s would be stationed at Isphahan (where the nuclear reactor is situated) & to places, I for got the name of, where they have placed their Balistic missiles. Rest of the country is open to air attacks except that they might have Russian SAMs.

Iran has a huge land area & 20 F-14s are way too less for them + F-4 & F-5 dont even stand a chance against lates US & Israel weapon systems.

Iran had one of the best Air Force in the world when Shah of Iran was ruling, now they are canabalizing some of their aircrafts to keep other of theirs flying.

I am not against Iranian revolution but it is too emotional based & rather than bringing the country to better possition it has taken it to worse when it comes to economics & defence. They were the strongest & Richest nation in Asia in 1960s & 70s.

Even today they act on emotional bases. They say if US attacks them they'll bomb Israel. Wounder what damage is US getting here :coffee . Iranians dont have ICBMs to reach USA & Shahab-3 has limited range of 2000Km.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
kashifshahzad said:
Do they have that much money for these purchases this will cost them a large amount of money and other thing .Can Russian supply Iran AC's in this situation i mean to say that US might be preparing to attack
I think Russia would be willing to.They have already lost Iraqi market, Iran can make it up for it. But Iranians seem to be more in contact with Chinese. I read today on some site that Iran is looking into JF-17/FC-1 but thats long time to come. In 2007 16 would be produced 8 for PAF & 8 for PLAAF after that export production will start along with domastic. They can go for J-10 but so far Chinese have not revleaded Export plans for J-10. So I guess Chinese have F-7 to offer for the moment.

Hence best Choice for Iran is to replace its F-4, F-5 with MiG-29s & F-14s with Su-27 & 30.

There is no future of F-14. Even US is shutting them down. So even if in future Iran & US become good friends again they wont get their F-14s upgraded & there would be no point in going for 2nd hand F-14s either.

Patzek

SABRE said:
Even today they act on emotional bases. They say if US attacks them they'll bomb Israel. Wounder what damage is US getting here :coffee . Iranians dont have ICBMs to reach USA & Shahab-3 has limited range of 2000Km.

Iran bombs innocent israeli's = iranian soldiers doesn't have a home to come back to.

and i already said my opinon about the F14's.
with our F16I's + Python 5 + the Israeli TKA helmet( i don't know the name in english ) helmet that enable to lock on a AC with your look only, they're already counted as dead

mysterious

Lets not get carried away by patriotism Patzek. The intelligent know where innocence lies. This isn't a political thread anywayz. What Sabre said is quite accurate, its about time Iran stopped bothering about indigenous aircraft and instead should actively procure some handy Russian and/or Chinese aircraft to strengthen its airforce. I seriously would doubt claims by Iranian generals of even coming close to combating USAF or for that matter IAF effectively.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Patzek said:
Iran bombs innocent israeli's = iranian soldiers doesn't have a home to come back to.

and i already said my opinon about the F14's.
with our F16I's + Python 5 + the Israeli TKA helmet( i don't know the name in english ) helmet that enable to lock on a AC with your look only, they're already counted as dead
For ur TKA Helmet u will have to be in WVR. Iranian F-14s still have good long range Radar & for that matter of fact they may be mounted with Russian Long Range Missiles. They would be a threat if US/Israel try to go near their Nuclear Reactors but that leaves the whole country open to Air Attacks except as I said before they may be good long range Russian SAMs.

There last line of Defence, Shahab-3.