Harrier landings

Scorpius

I am curious to find out how a Harrier lands,vertically and what instruments the pilot in the cockpit uses.Can anyone help?

not sure if I am breaking a rule.

vivtho

Scorpius said:
I am curious to find out how a Harrier lands,vertically and what instruments the pilot in the cockpit uses.Can anyone help?

not sure if I am breaking a rule.
The main difference in the cockpit of a Harrier from that of a conventional aircraft is that there is an additional 'nozzle control' lever alongside the throttle. When fully forward, the nozzles point towards, the rear of the aircraft for forward thrust. When the lever is pulled almost all the way back, the nozzles provide vertical thrust, and when it is pulled all the way back, the nozzles provide vertical thrust with a small component of beckwards thrust.

Since the pilot needs to juggle the throttle and nozzle levers simultaneously, it is said that the ideal Harrier pilot is one who was born with three hands :D

I'm not aware of any additional cockpit instruments on the Harrier as the existing instruments provide all the information required. However, I'd expect the Harrier to have an accurate radar altimeter besides the standard atmospheric type.