Glass cockpit question! urgent

aerospacefan

Dear all,
Was thinking -
is cost of operating and maintaining a glass cockpit is much higher than the legacy cockpit?
Costs - probably higher, or is it not?
Maintenance - is failure rate down? by what %?

Seems like everyone is using them, does it save or is the burden higher than we believe?
Thanks!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Dear all,
Was thinking -
is cost of operating and maintaining a glass cockpit is much higher than the legacy cockpit?

Seems like everyone is using them, does it save or is the burden higher than we believe?
Thanks!
its not actually that simple as the issue gets down to the detail in the support contract with the prime

in absolute and overly simple terms, any digital cockpit will be easier to maintain - but then it depends on the aircraft and the generation of that platform

glassing up means more than just digital systems, it gets down to connectivity, modularity etc....

FRU can be >60 seconds with current modules - or a couple of hours with analogue

2007yellow430

Dear all,
Was thinking -

Thanks!
I am unsure of the military applications, but I do have a glass panel in my plane and it is much more reliable than the steam gauges, more accurate, and generally a huge improvement over the legacy instruments. I would assume that the same would hold true for military application. The only factor that might affect the cost is the additional uses, that weren't available for the steam gauges (synthetic vision for one) and the cost to keep those databases current.

They do initially cost more, quite a bit more.

Art