General Aviation Thread

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This new ban is pretty disturbing. As a long time flyer, I still miss real china plates, metal knives and forks, and wine glasses actually made of glass. Now a few flights originating from certain countries will not allow laptops or tablets as carry on items. I can't imagine the chaos for the road-warrior class in NA if devices must be checked...then again if everyone has to check luggage the frigging planes might get away from the gates faster as passengers won't be trying to fit carry-ons into non-existent overhead bins.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/21/us-electronic-devices-ban-flights-tsa-airports

Excuse the one liner from a newbie but my concern is that all of these devices have lithium batteries and will now be in the baggage hold.
If they are in the cabin the flight crew have procedures for dealing with a lithium fire, in the hold, it is a potential disaster

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Excuse the one liner from a newbie but my concern is that all of these devices have lithium batteries and will now be in the baggage hold.
If they are in the cabin the flight crew have procedures for dealing with a lithium fire, in the hold, it is a potential disaster
One would think that, so I get the impression that this may have not been fully thought through.

You definitely didn't post a one liner so nothing to forgive :)

t68

One would think that, so I get the impression that this may have not been fully thought through.

You definitely didn't post a one liner so nothing to forgive :)
Don't quote me on it, but on fox the have a show called Air Crash Investigation. One episode dealt with fire in the cargo holds, they whete talking about introducing new fire control methods etc etc. whilst fire is an extreme emergency it's seems that they my have taken the lessons on board.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Don't quote me on it, but on fox the have a show called Air Crash Investigation. One episode dealt with fire in the cargo holds, they whete talking about introducing new fire control methods etc etc. whilst fire is an extreme emergency it's seems that they my have taken the lessons on board.
That would be the FAA in that case but it's not them making the rules in this case. That will be most likely State and / or Homeland Security.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Perhaps manufacturers will be mandated to have removeable batteries with their devices and only batteries will be banned. Have Trump's minions been buying battery stocks lately?

t68

That would be the FAA in that case but it's not them making the rules in this case. That will be most likely State and / or Homeland Security.
Sorry I quoted the wrong person, was ment to be in reply about fires and procedures from air crew, not really related to the reasons why of the ban.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter