Five more Australian JSF contracts

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Five more Australian companies have been awarded work on the Joint Strike Fighter program.

Brisbane-based Ferra Engineering has been contracted by Lockheed Martin to manufacture JSF airframe wing components. This follows agreements last year for a range of airframe machined components. Lockheed Martin has also expanded its order for structural wing components with Melbourne-based Lovitt Technologies.

Victorian-based Marand Precision Engineering will provide engineering support services to assist with the design and construction of the JSF production fabrication and assembly lines.

Tomago-based Varley was contracted by Northrop Grumman to design, build, and test aircraft maintenance slings.

Northrop Grumman has contracted Adelaide-based Vipac Engineers & Scientists to provide engineering support into Northrop’s El Segundo facility in California over the next 12 months.

http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/b5/0c0208b5.asp

Vipac are an interesting choice, I was once involved with on a project where they were responsible for reducing noise and vibration from some ASW platforms, their specialty is in sonic masking. I would guess that they are going to provide similar expertise into the F-22.

adsH

gf0012 said:
Five more Australian companies have been awarded work on the Joint Strike Fighter program.

Brisbane-based Ferra Engineering has been contracted by Lockheed Martin to manufacture JSF airframe wing components. This follows agreements last year for a range of airframe machined components. Lockheed Martin has also expanded its order for structural wing components with Melbourne-based Lovitt Technologies.

Victorian-based Marand Precision Engineering will provide engineering support services to assist with the design and construction of the JSF production fabrication and assembly lines.

Tomago-based Varley was contracted by Northrop Grumman to design, build, and test aircraft maintenance slings.

Northrop Grumman has contracted Adelaide-based Vipac Engineers & Scientists to provide engineering support into Northrop’s El Segundo facility in California over the next 12 months.

http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/b5/0c0208b5.asp

Vipac are an interesting choice, I was once involved with on a project where they were responsible for reducing noise and vibration from some ASW platforms, their specialty is in sonic masking. I would guess that they are going to provide similar expertise into the F-22.

what exactly does sonic masking achieve !!

What are the British doing for the JSF since were not doing the wings any more, i know the main Power plant is ours. or something to with the verticle takeoff.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
sonic masking is anything to do with reducing noise and vibration, it can also extend to electronic countermeasures.typically they get involved in the shielding of sensitive electronic gear, minimise platform flexing etc...

the UK still has substantial input as they are the prime foreign contracter. e.g. they would have had to approve of the use of the australian contracters.

the bulk of the work is the VTOL side, so I guess they are busy with that plus trying to extract as much range as possible as the VTOL version is a bit short legged.