First Sukhoi Su-35 Aircraft for Venezuela

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
I found this info from this website

Venezuela intends to import the bulk of weapons from Russia – ambassador

19 May. Venezuelan Ambassador to Russia Alexis Navarro Rojas in an interview with Interfax expressed the intentions of his country to negotiate Russian arms deliveries to Venezuela.

"Venezuela needs to renew its arms systems. Several years ago we decided that we won't buy weapons from the United States and that the bulk of new orders will be placed with Russia. Our military experts have studied the parameters of the arms that Russia is offering and concluded that they are the best in the world," the ambassador said.

Rojas said there are several reasons why Venezuela is switching from importing U.S.-made weapons to Russian-made products, including the "aggressive foreign policy of Washington" and "irresponsibility in the fulfillment of contracts."

"The weapons we are getting from Russia come with guarantees of further maintenance services and personnel training," he said.

The Venezuelan government is preparing for talks on the delivery of Su-35 fighters from Russia, Rojas said.

"Our pilots have flown on Su-27 and Su-30 fighters already. They have simply fallen in love with the aircraft. They have also tried piloting Su-35. Now we are waiting for talks to begin," he said.

Russia has already delivered Mi-17 helicopters, which Venezuela is using for transportation and also for border patrols to prevent drug trafficking. The delivery of Mi-26 and Mi-35 helicopters is also expected, Rojas said.

Read More

http://www.interfax-news.com/17/157962/interview.aspx

note there a passage that said venezuela are preparing for a talk about SU-35 delivery. can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by a moderator:

tphuang

Super Moderator
I found this info from this website

Venezuela intends to import the bulk of weapons from Russia – ambassador

19 May. Venezuelan Ambassador to Russia Alexis Navarro Rojas in an interview with Interfax expressed the intentions of his country to negotiate Russian arms deliveries to Venezuela.

"Venezuela needs to renew its arms systems. Several years ago we decided that we won't buy weapons from the United States and that the bulk of new orders will be placed with Russia. Our military experts have studied the parameters of the arms that Russia is offering and concluded that they are the best in the world," the ambassador said.

Rojas said there are several reasons why Venezuela is switching from importing U.S.-made weapons to Russian-made products, including the "aggressive foreign policy of Washington" and "irresponsibility in the fulfillment of contracts."

"The weapons we are getting from Russia come with guarantees of further maintenance services and personnel training," he said.

The Venezuelan government is preparing for talks on the delivery of Su-35 fighters from Russia, Rojas said.

"Our pilots have flown on Su-27 and Su-30 fighters already. They have simply fallen in love with the aircraft. They have also tried piloting Su-35. Now we are waiting for talks to begin," he said.

Russia has already delivered Mi-17 helicopters, which Venezuela is using for transportation and also for border patrols to prevent drug trafficking. The delivery of Mi-26 and Mi-35 helicopters is also expected, Rojas said.

Read More

http://www.interfax-news.com/17/157962/interview.aspx

note there a passage that said venezuela are preparing for a talk about SU-35 delivery. can anyone confirm this?
they got some mk2s from the Russians at an extraordinarily high price. Also, su-35 hasn't even flown yet, so it's kind of hard to see su-35 getting delivered to Venezuela in the near future.

Chrom

Very possible variant. Of course, deliveres will not happen next month - but the order might well be. Actual Su-35 could be delivered in next 2-3 years.

eaf-f16

they got some mk2s from the Russians at an extraordinarily high price. Also, su-35 hasn't even flown yet, so it's kind of hard to see su-35 getting delivered to Venezuela in the near future.
I bet you it was a better deal than the $100 Million per F-16C/D that Morocco just payed.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
I bet you it was a better deal than the $100 Million per F-16C/D that Morocco just payed.
$100 Million per F-16, are you sure? Morocco should have waited few more years & go for F-35 instead. PAF got F-16C/D per unit at $46 Million.

eaf-f16

$100 Million per F-16, are you sure? Morocco should have waited few more years & go for F-35 instead. PAF got F-16C/D per unit at $46 Million.
Well, training, spares and associated equipment and services included. But, yeah, 24 planes for $2.4 Billion.

But, I think Egypt's been "paying" (not really, we get it for free) the same price for as long as it had an F-16 fleet, though.

F-15 Eagle

Also, su-35 hasn't even flown yet, so it's kind of hard to see su-35 getting delivered to Venezuela in the near future.
What do you mean, the SU-35 has flown before I talked about this on another topic before, There are 5 in service with the Russian Air Force( for testing I think and maybe the Russian Knights) and I've seen videos of SU-35s performing at air shows before. A total of 15 were built it first flew in 1988, 5 are used by the VVS well the other 10 are used by Sukhoi for demonstration for export customers. I have seen the Su-35 perform astonishing maneuverer's and I don't see why the VVS just replaces the Su-27 with the SU-35 and build the PAK-FA. A fighter force of SU-35s, T-50 and SU-34 would make Russia at or at least close to the rank of the U.S. Air force, reminds me of the Cold War.

Last edited:

tphuang

Super Moderator

F-15 Eagle

These internet sources are not reliable. Please just pay attention to us. go to royfc's russian translation site and you can follow the status of su-35. You would see that the first flight has been delayed until beginning of 2008.
Thats for the SU-35BM a 4++ generation jet which is considered a interim jet between the 4th Generation SU-27 and the 5th generation PAK-FA. Don't get confused between the SU-35 and SU-35BM it even says that on the website. Your are right, the SU-35BM was supposed to fly in 2007 but was delayed until sometime in 2008, but the original Su-35 first flew in 1988. Again don't get the two confused, the SU-35 and the SU-35BM are two different jets, 5 of the original SU-35s are in service well the SU-35BM will undergo trials sometime this year. The SU-35BM first maid its appearance at the 2007 MAKS air show.

F-15 Eagle

This is the first paragraph of the site I just gave.

"Su-35BM will be the last developed Flanker. An final upgrade, final variant. Actually, the designation is quite confusing, since Su-35 already exists in Russian Air Force. Su-35 was the export designation for upgraded Su-27, called Su-27M, internal Sukhoi designation T-10M. Su-27M gave baseline Flanker new avionics, as well as precision air-to-ground capability. Only five of these are in service with VVS (Russian Air Force), with 237th regiment based at Kubinka Air Base. VVS chose another path instead; to incorporate technologies tested in Su-35/T-10M, together with those of Su-30MK, into an standard upgrade project for the baseline Flanker, the Su-27SM. The Su-35 designation was also used for Su-37, dubbed as “Terminator”. Aircraft was a testbed for 2D thrust-vectoring engines, mounted on Su-35/T-10M."

Here is another site saying the ORIGINAL SU-35 fist flew in 1988.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/su-35.htm

Chrom

This is the first paragraph of the site I just gave.

"Su-35BM will be the last developed Flanker. An final upgrade, final variant. Actually, the designation is quite confusing, since Su-35 already exists in Russian Air Force. Su-35 was the export designation for upgraded Su-27, called Su-27M, internal Sukhoi designation T-10M. Su-27M gave baseline Flanker new avionics, as well as precision air-to-ground capability. Only five of these are in service with VVS (Russian Air Force), with 237th regiment based at Kubinka Air Base. VVS chose another path instead; to incorporate technologies tested in Su-35/T-10M, together with those of Su-30MK, into an standard upgrade project for the baseline Flanker, the Su-27SM. The Su-35 designation was also used for Su-37, dubbed as “Terminator”. Aircraft was a testbed for 2D thrust-vectoring engines, mounted on Su-35/T-10M."

Here is another site saying the ORIGINAL SU-35 fist flew in 1988.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/su-35.htm
Yes, read what this article tells - Su-35 is NOT SU-35BM. 5 Su-35 are in "service" within RuAF. NO single Su-35BM is in service.

tphuang

Super Moderator
Thats for the SU-35BM a 4++ generation jet which is considered a interim jet between the 4th Generation SU-27 and the 5th generation PAK-FA. Don't get confused between the SU-35 and SU-35BM it even says that on the website. Your are right, the SU-35BM was supposed to fly in 2007 but was delayed until sometime in 2008, but the original Su-35 first flew in 1988. Again don't get the two confused, the SU-35 and the SU-35BM are two different jets, 5 of the original SU-35s are in service well the SU-35BM will undergo trials sometime this year. The SU-35BM first maid its appearance at the 2007 MAKS air show.
Sukhoi is only referring su-27BM as su-35 right now. They don't use the terminology su-35bm anymore. It's pointless to mention those original 5, whether those fighters still remain in service is unknown at this point.

F-15 Eagle

Sukhoi is only referring su-27BM as su-35 right now. They don't use the terminology su-35bm anymore. It's pointless to mention those original 5, whether those fighters still remain in service is unknown at this point.
You say they don't use the terminology of SU-35BM anymore yet they used that name in the MAKS-2007 and still do, I'm just wondering did you just make all that stuff up in your last post? No it said the SU-35BM is the last Flanker version in the Flanker family after the SU-35 They did not even say anything about the SU-27BM because there is no BM version of the SU-27. Why wouldn't they be in service there most likely in service with the Russian Knights they entered service in 2003, I also don't see why there not important, weather you think there important or not does not change the fact that there are 5 in service, and the article is as recent as April 27 2007.

Last edited:

Scorpion82

You say they don't use the terminology of SU-35BM anymore yet they used that name in the MAKS-2007 and still do, I'm just wondering did you just make all that stuff up in your last post? No it said the SU-35BM is the last Flanker version in the Flanker family after the SU-35 They did not even say anything about the SU-27BM because there is no BM version of the SU-27. Why wouldn't they be in service there most likely in service with the Russian Knights they entered service in 2003, I also don't see why there not important, weather you think there important or not does not change the fact that there are 5 in service, and the article is as recent as April 27 2007.
Well the "BM" stands for Big Modification" (Don't know the exact russian term) and is brought in conjunction with the new Su-35. Nonetheless this designation isn't official. It is infact derived from the Sukhoi internal designation T-10BM. The Su-27BM is the original designation, Su-35 the marketing name. There was also Su-27SM2 mentioned, AFAIK this is an upgrade for the baseline Su-27 featuring many of the technologies of the new Su-35/Su-27BM.
The old Su-35/Su-27M is in service with the Russian Knights, yes but it is not operational with any combat unit. As you said (and me in another thread long before) those 5 aircraft were originally used by the 237th regiment at Kubinka for evaluation purposes. The RuAF eventually decided not to adopt the type into its inventory and the 5 aircraft were eventually handed over to the Russian Knights in 2003.

F-15 Eagle

Well the "BM" stands for Big Modification" (Don't know the exact russian term) and is brought in conjunction with the new Su-35. Nonetheless this designation isn't official. It is infact derived from the Sukhoi internal designation T-10BM. The Su-27BM is the original designation, Su-35 the marketing name. There was also Su-27SM2 mentioned, AFAIK this is an upgrade for the baseline Su-27 featuring many of the technologies of the new Su-35/Su-27BM.
The old Su-35/Su-27M is in service with the Russian Knights, yes but it is not operational with any combat unit. As you said (and me in another thread long before) those 5 aircraft were originally used by the 237th regiment at Kubinka for evaluation purposes. The RuAF eventually decided not to adopt the type into its inventory and the 5 aircraft were eventually handed over to the Russian Knights in 2003.
Thank you, I think the Russian Air Force is more concerned about getting the PAK-FA(T-50) into service to replace the Mig-29 and SU-27 as a medium size jet comparable to the American F-35 Lighting II. The T-50 will be a much better jet anyway since it should have some stealth capability. Now I know the SU-34 will replace the SU-24, but what about the fate of the SU-25 and SU-33?