Fighter selection in Eastern Europe

andrei

A military exhibition for the Black Sea region is taking place now in ROmania - Bucharest. The main guest was the Eurofighter Typhoon - below -. The Grypen team was here too without planes.
Until recently Grypen was the main favorite for the purchase of 48 new planes but Eurofighter is now a serious contender. F16 are now out of discussion, I spoke to the PR officer from the Eurofighter team - the planes were from Aeronautica Militare Italiana - and he mentioned that EADS has received a request - for an offer of 8 two seaters and 40 one seater Batch 2/3 planes with Meteor Integrated and air ground capacity from the Romanian air force.
The decision will be made by 2008 with first deliveries soon after.
The romanian pilots with whom I spoke mentioned that although the Eurofighter is a plane with better potential, the Grypen - some of them have tested - was easier for maintenance and cheaper to use and more rugged.
In an additional pictures I'm sending you the Puma SOCAT, modernised anti tank helicopter of the Air force with fire and forget anti tank missiles, rocket pods, 20 mm gun, thermal, optical and laser designator, moving digital map, . The pilots are happy with this machine which can also carry up to 18 commandos and serve as a support helicopter, although it has no armor (it has flares and warning systems). The anti tank missile is called X8 by the Romanian, couldnt figure out what it was, it is not russian but apparently israeli technology adapted in Romania by Elbit. Maximum range is 8 km and they can also be used with optical fiber and joystick by the co pilot. Any ideea of what it can be ?

Lancer1978

A military exhibition for the Black Sea region is taking place now in ROmania - Bucharest. The main guest was the Eurofighter Typhoon - below -. The Grypen team was here too without planes.
Until recently Grypen was the main favorite for the purchase of 48 new planes but Eurofighter is now a serious contender. F16 are now out of discussion, I spoke to the PR officer from the Eurofighter team - the planes were from Aeronautica Militare Italiana - and he mentioned that EADS has received a request - for an offer of 8 two seaters and 40 one seater Batch 2/3 planes with Meteor Integrated and air ground capacity from the Romanian air force.
The decision will be made by 2008 with first deliveries soon after.
The romanian pilots with whom I spoke mentioned that although the Eurofighter is a plane with better potential, the Grypen - some of them have tested - was easier for maintenance and cheaper to use and more rugged.
In an additional pictures I'm sending you the Puma SOCAT, modernised anti tank helicopter of the Air force with fire and forget anti tank missiles, rocket pods, 20 mm gun, thermal, optical and laser designator, moving digital map, . The pilots are happy with this machine which can also carry up to 18 commandos and serve as a support helicopter, although it has no armor (it has flares and warning systems). The anti tank missile is called X8 by the Romanian, couldnt figure out what it was, it is not russian but apparently israeli technology adapted in Romania by Elbit. Maximum range is 8 km and they can also be used with optical fiber and joystick by the co pilot. Any ideea of what it can be ?
Wow that would be awesome, I think it would be a major upgrade in Romanian Air Forces capabilities to to have 48 Eurofighter Typhoons or JAS-39 Gripens! Perhaps Romanian could be the first AF to get more advanced E/F models of the Gripen. It would be great, if the Swedish throw a few Erieye AEW aircraft in the deal, like they did with Thailand.

Also Romania Puma SOCATs are armed with Isreali made Spike anti tank missiles

thank you

rjmaz1

This is quite an old thread, does anyone know if the Gripen was selected?

The Gripen package with Erieye is a pretty high quality budget setup.

For a relatively small country you couldn't get a more bang for your buck setup in my opinion. Im surprised that the Gripen has actually made more international sales. Its not the initial purchase price that is attracive but the lifetime costs due to it being so cheap to operate.

You could buy cheap aircraft like Mig-35's but have to pay more on maintenance. The cheap purchase price may result in more aircraft being purchased too resulting in even greater lifetime costs.

The Gripen is nearly perfect for Romania's need. Its range is the only thing it lacks but its STOL performance and the fact that most European countries are quite small should make it the winner.

A good comparison between the F-16 and Gripen for croatia shows how cheap the Gripen is to operate. The Eurofighter would cost twice as much over its lifetime.

http://www.nacional.hr/en/articles/view/34674/

Last edited:

Lancer1978

This is quite an old thread, does anyone know if the Gripen was selected?

The Romanian AF has still not been decided on its next fighter; but there are 5 contenders the F/A-18 E/F, F-16 C/D Block 50, Refale, Eurofighter Typhoon and JAS-39 Gripen C/D or E/F. I would prefer either the Typhoon or Gripen!

thank you

Mercurius

I have a copy of Jane's Air-Launched Weapons. If you post a closeup of the helo-mounted missile, I could probably identify it.

Mercurius Cantabrigsiensis

swerve

Super Moderator

The Gripen is nearly perfect for Romania's need. Its range is the only thing it lacks but its STOL performance and the fact that most European countries are quite small should make it the winner....
Romania is quite a lot smaller than Sweden. ;) Pretty compact, as well. Gripens limited range would not be a problem for national territorial defence. Bulgaria is smaller (similar population density with less than half as many people, as is Slovakia. Croatia is an awkward shape, making it harder to cover the whole country, but still not unsuitable for Gripen.

Skyman

Aside from Thailand selection of Gripen, if the Romanian choose Gripen too. It would be a big year for Saab. The production line will be extended and RTAF will have a chance to procure more.:)

Lancer1978

Aside from Thailand selection of Gripen, if the Romanian choose Gripen too. It would be a big year for Saab. The production line will be extended and RTAF will have a chance to procure more.:)
Good point, the Romanian requirement for 48 fighters is second largest contract after the Indian contract for 126 fighters. So that would be a prestigous win for both SAAB and BAE. This deal should make the Romanian AF one of best equipped in the region, with the possible exception of the Polish AF.