F19 Stealth Aircraft

pliquid

In the early 80's, Lockheed Skunk/Works developed an aircraft called " F19 Ghostrider "
any info about it ?

it's very similar to the Navy ( Uav ) aircraft showed in '" Stealth " Movie.

pliquid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah, it is , but i was wondering if somewhere in internet still some video of this interesting aircraft, i can't find information , as his first flight, and his service status, maybe Lockheed during testing, record some videos....

turin

SABRE said:
STEALTH is a MOVIE staring Jamie Fox, Jesica Fox & another dude. The AirCraft in it are futuristic fighter jets designated as F-19 Stealth It does not exist in real time.

The word F-19 was given to show it is superior successor of F-18. (19>18)
You are mixing things up here. The picture shows the F-19 Stealth Fighter, as released as a plastic kit model some time during the 80s. first by Testor Corp. Similar designs were released under the same name by different companies later on. Also there was a F-19 Ghostrider making an appearance in the Tom Clancy novel "Red Storm rising" which may or may not be based on that design.

However, there is no real F-19 and speculation on the type of aircraft behind that designation arose when the designation was skipped by the USAF in its fighter sequence.

The fighter in the movie "Stealth" is actually called F/A-37 Talon.

edit:
Here is another, complete picture of the F-19 Stealth Fighter model
http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/TESTORS%20F-19%20MAIN.jpghttp://www.defencetalk.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=46803

Last edited:

P.A.F

well the bottom line is that the F-19 does not exist. they have only made imaginary models till date. the US does not plan to build such a plane as yet. So basically no point in discussing something imaginary.

Temoor_A

Well! the new F-22 Raptor will take its role and the upcoming F-35 JSF will take over F-117 Hawk!

So why worry about F-19?

Salman78

TBA_PAK said:
Well! the new F-22 Raptor will take its role and the upcoming F-35 JSF will take over F-117 Hawk!

So why worry about F-19?
F-19 never had a role and JSF is not intended to, nor will replace F-117's role. JSF is not that stealthy.

Temoor_A

Salman78 said:
F-19 never had a role and JSF is not intended to, nor will replace F-117's role. JSF is not that stealthy.
What I meant was that US gave F-22 program the green light while F-19 stayed in paper. F-22 Lightening or Raptor is an excellent stealth plane and F-19 program was not needed.

Defcon 6

TBA_PAK said:
What I meant was that US gave F-22 program the green light while F-19 stayed in paper. F-22 Lightening or Raptor is an excellent stealth plane and F-19 program was not needed.
It is possible. Another possibility is that it was the designation of a test bed fighter that never made it to production or public eye. But then, who know. It might still be in development at the Groom Lake complex.

corzair

SABRE said:
STEALTH is a MOVIE staring Jamie Fox, Jesica Fox & another dude. The AirCraft in it are futuristic fighter jets designated as F-19 Stealth It does not exist in real time.

The word F-19 was given to show it is superior successor of F-18. (19>18)
Sabre the MOVIE Stealth actually never mensions F19 as far as i can remember, and the Stealth aircraft in the movie is based, by the looks of it on a aircaft/concept by northrop called switchblade (http://www.area51zone.com/aircraft/switchblade.shtml)
dont know how true it is but the films okay if you ignore the story and just watch the action stuff

anyways

the F19 Ghostrider and there was another version of the idea called F19 specter
anyhow in the 80's there was a lot of speculation about americas stealth jet
which was finally revealed as the F117 !!

but many suspect that the F19 which was more a rounded looking craft then the angular F117 did exist may be forunner of/or developing into Northrops YF23!

anyways it was in a lot of aero magazines in the late 80's thats when the model kits also appeared - it might all be speculation but it did look cool!

SOLDIER officer

TBA_PAK said:
The F-19 was never on paper. It does not exist nor did it ever exist. The Air Force skipped the F-19 designation for one reason or another and people started assuming there was a black project going on that got the designation. Back in the '80s with Aurora floating around and all that, I can see how the F-19 myth got started. Tom Clancy picked up on it and put it in Red Storm Rising. As links have shown, they made models of this fantasy aircraft. As a kid, I even had one.

But, as I said, its all fantasy. The F-19 is not, and was never, a real aircraft.

corzair

SOLDIER officer said:
...But, as I said, its all fantasy. The F-19 is not, and was never, a real aircraft.
You cannot say that for sure!

There were even CAD drawings in magazines of the late 80's like the F-19 ghostrider version...And reported sighting near and around the sunkworks facility.
After years of speculation detailes were released of the F117 which is similar in size but a strike aircraft - the speculation was for a fighter as i remember, and the curvy one as i said not the angular F117.

You have to remember there was also a lot of sightings of weird wing shaped-triangular ufo's which would account nicely for the B2 bomber before that was made public.

Now I reckon not everything is gonna be made public - stops the other side from persuing the same idea possibly...