Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

F-35 Program - General Discussion

This is a discussion on F-35 Program - General Discussion within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by supercomrade Only reason I even said anything or posted the 787, was I thought it was silly ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old September 27th, 2017   #1141
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercomrade View Post
Only reason I even said anything or posted the 787, was I thought it was silly as hell of someone posting a vid of a combat jet doing an extremely basic thing that every single combat jet can do since the 1950's, as a "lol where the haters at now" kinda claim.
Not really. The (often absurd) criticism of the jet over the years has targeted some pretty basic things. I think you'll find this is what ADMk2's tongue in cheek comment was alluding to. As has been said before, a cursory glance over this very thread should give some context.
Boagrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017   #1142
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercomrade View Post
Mmmmm actually it's about roughly 700 feet where it levels off, and notice how the 787 goes into an instant climb, where your video that you posted, has the F-35 accelerating and gaining speed at a leveled altitude for good time before performing the vertical climb. Again, the 787 does not build any speed, it just goes from ground to vertical takeoff instantly.

And I know the F-35 has come a long way and fixed a lot of issues, trust me I have 100% understanding that at this point the JSF program is too big to fail, and any issues it encounters will be fixed from an unlimited supply of funds.

Only reason I even said anything or posted the 787, was I thought it was silly as hell of someone posting a vid of a combat jet doing an extremely basic thing that every single combat jet can do since the 1950's, as a "lol where the haters at now" kinda claim.
Yep it was just a dig at the absurd commentary on the F-35 by people who have been clearly shown that they do not know, what they do not know, yet proffer an opinion to the contrary nonetheless.

The F-35 according to every single person who has ever flown it and every service that is going to buy it, has more than acceptable aerodynamic performance and maneuvering qualities for a fighter jet (despite this not being one of it’s ‘real’ strengths as a combat aircraft, it’s combat system, EW and LO capability are far more impressive...) and yet the ridiculous myth persists, that the plant that built the F-16 and F-22 for some reason suddenly no longer understands how to build a fighter jet...
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017
pussertas
This message has been deleted by ngatimozart. Reason: Double post and a straight cut and paste without any added value by poster
Old October 24th, 2017   #1143
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
This link is about payload utility and other stuff as it applies to the F-35.

Shaping a Way Ahead to Prepare for 21st Century Conflicts: Payload-Utility Capabilities and the Kill Web | SLDInfo
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017   #1144
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
This article is a rather sobering discussion on the status of the F-35, from a sustainment point of view. To be fair, budget constraints are a significant factor. The rising fears about cyber security hopefully result in more money being made available to address this.

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Program Had A Pretty Rough Week - The Drive
Old October 31st, 2017   #1145
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
This time we see a Vertical then a Shipborne Rolling Vertical Landing in the Warton simulator with UK F-35B test pilot input about the F-35B afterwards.

F-35B Does Vertical Landing & SRVL in Warton UK Simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-Ux4QCACo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WartonControlRoomSIM.jpg (289.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg F-35BsimWhartonPilotHMDSpdf.jpg (288.3 KB, 8 views)
SpazSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1146
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Germany may be the latest country interested in the F-35

Germany declares preference for F-35 to replace Tornado | Jane's 360

Germany's initial plan was to replace its Tornado's with an unmanned system (Future Combat Air System) and that is still probably their long term goal ... but the realisation that it may take a long time to develop this system means that they may be looking at a nearer term replacement. Something in the 2025 - 35 timeframe.

If it is looking for an aircraft type that is currently available there wouldn't seem to be too many options apart from the F-35.

Could be a big order if the German's choose to replace their entire Tornado fleet.
hauritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1147
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
No Avatar
Threads:
The Germans will also be able to leverage the experience and efforts to integrate the F-35 with legacy Typhoon fleets in the UK and Italy. The F-35 should be a shoo-in given it's increasing affordability and technological superiority.
colay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1148
Defense Enthusiast
Major
Threads:
Was Just watching "Defence and Aerospace" and a video on US/UAE business council discussing how it would be advantageous to the USA it would be, if the United Arab Emirates was given permission to purchase the JSF..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOXTKYgviCY&t=0s
the road runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #1149
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Defence Aerospace has an interesting report on the vulnerability of undersea telecommunications cables and the impact on the F35 that has not been discussed here before.

Undersea Cables: Indispensable, Insecure

The last paragraph of the article details the issue.

Remember the KISS principle.
Novascotiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #1150
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Not sure how big a deal this is relative to the F-35. I would like to think there is enough SATCOM capacity to handle ALIS files if all ocean cables were cut which I think is unlikely. I have found Defense-Aerospace to be very negatively biased towards the F-35 and often use POGO as there source for anti F-35 info.
Old 1 Week Ago   #1151
Just a bloke
Major General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fedup View Post
Not sure how big a deal this is relative to the F-35. I would like to think there is enough SATCOM capacity to handle ALIS files if all ocean cables were cut which I think is unlikely. I have found Defense-Aerospace to be very negatively biased towards the F-35 and often use POGO as there source for anti F-35 info.
Old Giovanni’s (editor of defence-aerospace) meal ticket is Dassault and European defence industry more broadly. The F-35 is the biggest threat to European fighters there is and so in order to keep his $$$ inbound he targets it with the most ridiculous of claims there are...
ADMk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #1152
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Yep, his latest mission is to trash Patriot stating the Euro solution is way cheaper and works better. Proof coming in the next site update......
Old 1 Week Ago   #1153
Defense Aficionado
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/f-...020900920.html

by extension this would means a 24/7 coverage up very expensive
t68 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: