Czech Republic signs for Gripen fighter planes

Snauman

Banned Member
June 22, 2004
The Swedish Defence Material Administration signed an agreement with its equivalent department at the Czech Ministry of Defense, at a ceremony in Prague. The Czech Republic will lease 14 Gripen fighter aircraft (12 single-seat and 2 two-seat) of the latest version JAS 39 C/D Gripen for a period of ten years (2005-2015). The Czech Republic will be the first NATO-country to operate the fourth generation Gripen, to meet the country's national and NATO defense needs. The Czech Republic will receive the latest C and D versions of the Gripen aircraft.

These aircraft are the latest standard of the Gripen and are equipped with full color cockpits, air-to-air refueling probes, and are fully NATO-interoperable. The Gripen aircraft will be delivered to the Czech Republic during April-August 2005. The training will be done in Sweden with the Swedish Air Force who is responsible for the training program.

Salman78

After giving up pretty nice L-159's the czech's will have a handful of Grippens which they can barely afford.. duh!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Salman78 said:
After giving up pretty nice L-159's the czech's will have a handful of Grippens which they can barely afford.. duh!!
You can't even begin to compare an albatross with a gripen. I assume that as a pilot you are cracking a joke about this?

Salman78

gf0012-aust said:
Salman78 said:
You can't even begin to compare an albatross with a gripen. I assume that as a pilot you are cracking a joke about this?
I wasnt compairing anything. Ofcourse there is no comparision b/w albatross and grippen but czech's have no real threat from any surrounding country and the L-159's are brand new and quite modern planes. There was no real need to put them into storage or being sold. It was and will remain a pretty stupid decision to give up a brand new plane and "sign up" for a fighter which they can not afford. recent floods have caused them a lot of money and they have already reduced the original order.

so there was no comparision or joke and i am not a pilot.