The combat role of the Indian Air Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Mookerjee

Banned Member
The combat situation of The I A F depends on the role assigned her, by her senior officers. In my opinion, the close ground attack operation is a very important consideration for the air force. The air force may have many roles in a combat situation. The Jaguar are ground attack aircraft. The MiG 21 Bison are interceptors. The Sukhoi-30 are perhaps air superiority fighters. The Mirage 2000 are multi role aircraft, as are also the Sukhoi -30's. The air force has to manage many roles simultaneously. The ground attack aircraft will attack the ground forces, logistics and supplies. The Sukhoi 30 will attack industrial installations, perhaps, and engage the enemy fighters who violate the air space. The Mirage 2000 will be kept in reserve, and used in the multi role scenario. Perhaps, the ideal situation, is when all these roles are performed simultaneously. The enemy air defenses need to be crippled in an all encompassing manner. This type of air war, (except the close ground support role), should extend for a very short time, and then the air war should be purely a defensive operation. I would like other opinions about my opinion.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
The combat situation of The I A F depends on the role assigned her, by her senior officers. In my opinion, the close ground attack operation is a very important consideration for the air force. The air force may have many roles in a combat situation. The Jaguar are ground attack aircraft. The MiG 21 Bison are interceptors. The Sukhoi-30 are perhaps air superiority fighters. The Mirage 2000 are multi role aircraft, as are also the Sukhoi -30's. The air force has to manage many roles simultaneously. The ground attack aircraft will attack the ground forces, logistics and supplies. The Sukhoi 30 will attack industrial installations, perhaps, and engage the enemy fighters who violate the air space. The Mirage 2000 will be kept in reserve, and used in the multi role scenario. Perhaps, the ideal situation, is when all these roles are performed simultaneously. The enemy air defenses need to be crippled in an all encompassing manner. This type of air war, (except the close ground support role), should extend for a very short time, and then the air war should be purely a defensive operation. I would like other opinions about my opinion.
Reading this might be of benefit to you, if you want to discuss airpower campaigns/operations:

The Air Campaign: Planning for Combat

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
There already is a thread on Indian Air Force. Discuss this there.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.