Ch-47 orders

Mikestro

Ch-47 Chinook orders

I understand that the CH-47 Chinook is in particular demand right now, especially with experiences in Afghanistan (high and hot conditions). Canadian Forces need and want CH-47's Chinooks (after selling all the Canadian CH-47s to the Dutch in the early 1990's). But it appears that there is quite the waiting list to get new build CH-47s. And Canadian Forces refuse to purchase used USA CH-47s that will be re-manufactured later, instead holding out for new builds. But what ever happened to the the manufacturing lines for CH-47 in Japan and Italy? If demand for CH-47 high then why not build them in Japan or Italy. (or at least sell off used Italian CH-47c's in storage).

Last edited:

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Whilst the memorandum says that initially the co-operation will be in marketing it gives me the impression that as prime contractor for new helicopter sales in Italy and the U.K., Agusta Westland is likely to manufacture such helos with Boeing acting as a sub contractor. So, unless I've completely misread this (always a possibility!) the chances of the Italian CH-47 line re-opening look reasonably bright.

Cheers

Mikestro

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good to see an increase in production for CH-47, looks like I missed the info on the Agusta - Boeing deal. It still probably won't help the Canadian forces get new helicopters anytime soon as this deal is initially just for marketing. Oh well.

dumpster4

From Jane's:

US Army to acquire enhanced MH-47G Block 2 Chinooks:

"The US Army is looking to renew production of the Boeing MH-47G Chinook special mission helicopter in an upgraded Block 2 configuration, it disclosed on 3 August."

"One option being proposed by the company is the Advanced Chinook Rotor Blade (ACRB). Still under development, the ACRB is not a flat blade as currency fitted, but features lots of geometry and a new asymmetric aerofoil to increase the lift by approximately 900 kg per blade (5,400 kg for the helicopter). An interesting design criterion of this blade is that the first 45 cm, where it attaches to the hub, is identical to the old blade for easy retrofit (the ACRB is also made of the same materials as the old blade). Boeing said that the ACRB should be ready for fielding in about 2019, raising the baseline CH-47F helicopter's current payload from 10,886 kg to 16,286 kg."

Note: I can't post links yet, otherwise I'd link to this article.

[Mod Edit: As we noted in another thread, please refrain from simply copy-pasting entire news articles and turning threads into news ribbons. We expect to see personal input to your posts. Accordingly, a warning issued for this attempt at converting this discussion thread into a news ribbon. No reply to the Mod Warnings are necessary.

This forum is moderated and new members must read the Forum Rules before posting. ]

Last edited by a moderator:

walter

Well it looks like slowly but surely there's a bit more money for the dutch defence(less cuts)and they're even order more Chinooks(now 17 D's,will be 20F's,variant)

The Netherlands will order 14 Boeing CH-47F MYII Chinook medium transport helicopters, it was announced by the Dutch MoD on 7 September.

The €838.1 million contract will be signed by December 2015 with the new aircraft to be delivered from 2019.

So let's hope(for us) that more investments will be done(and offcourse enough parts ,etc will be bought to keep everything operational.

gr,walter

11"old" D variants will be sold,6F variants will be upgraded to F("US Army variant") (cockpit,crash resistant chairs,etc)