CH-47 Gunship

carman1877

Shouldn't the CH-47 Chinook(Guns a go-go) be considered the best helicopter gunship? it had more armament than the Huey. it did actually never enter service though. Didn't it have the most armament out of any helicopter gunship?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Apart from suggesting to look up "the best" threads in the rules...

Err, i think the Mi-8, Mi-24, Mi-28, Ka-50/52 and AH-64 have it beat easily, as far as armament goes. W-3W, W-3U, IAR-330, AS-532AL and SOCAT too probably. It probably carried the most armament at its time though.

Only the two 20mm guns and the 19-round rocket launcher were capable of engaging an enemy at range - i.e. outside the enemy's organic MG range. The M3/M24 20mm gun was a WW2 HS.404 copy with known reliability problems that most users - including the USAF and USN - phased out in the early 50s. The M75 grenade launcher in the M5 system had known reliability problems and was superceded in service technically in 1963 already by the redesigned M129. The rocket launcher was experimental and only carried a XM designation - it was a USAF aircraft rocket launcher adapted experimentally to a helo. How much of a success that was could be seen in what else carried that system, i.e. nothing - everything else used the M200. About the only weapon systems on the bird that weren't experimental - and were used otherwise - were the M18 gunpod and the M5 chin turret.

The ACH-47A was also comparably slow (well, not compared to a Huey), hard to maneuver with little loiter time, and presented a damn big target - three definite minus points for a gunship.

carman1877

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Black Hawk

the so called battle hawk is not in service, to my knowledge, but the MH-60L DAP is. Direct Action Penetrator.

this carries 2 7.62mm miniguns, fixed or door mounted, 2.75in rockets, 30mm chain gun, and hellfires. but not all at same time.

this is americas new gunship i thkn, do you think that this is s formitble aircraft?

carman1877

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got a quick side question, do you know if the Nightstalker or any blackhawk pilots carry M4's or somthing. In Black hawk down the pilot has an Mp5.