B-1 Crash

ROCK45

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. military says a B-1 bomber has crashed at an American air base in Qatar.
A sweep-wing B1-B bomber, similar to this one, crashed on landing Friday in Qatar, the U.S. military says.

Initial reports are that the bomber crashed at al-Udeid Air Base, headquarters of all American air operations in the Middle East.
The official spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because the reports are preliminary.
There was no information yet on casualties. E-mail to a friend
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Link
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/....ap/index.html

Second story
B-1 involved in ground incident after landing

4/4/2008 - SOUTHWEST ASIA (AFPN) -- A B-1B Lancer, while taxiing after landing at an air base in Southwest Asia, was involved in a ground incident and caught fire at 9:10 p.m. local on April 4. The crew evacuated the aircraft and is safe. The fire was contained.

A board of inquiry has been appointed and will investigate the incident.

Link
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123093134

ROCK45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
3 bombers in a short time

I notice that to 1-B-2 & 2 B-1s, glad the crews were ok. I don't follow bombers that much could it be the frames just over used? I read a lot this year and last about how F-16s, helicopters, and other equipment is wearing down because of the high sortie rates. I wonder if it could be something along those lines?

F-15 Eagle

I find it annoying when they don't say anything about if the two B-1s will be able to be repaired or not. It seem like there is a crash every week now. I wounder what little surprise next week has in store for the Air Force.:eek:

ROCK45

Crash update

I wouldn't go as far as saying there's a crash every week and remember there were a lot of weeks without crashes or firers. (smile face)

The lack of information is annoying I agree but this crash only happen a few days ago and it takes a little time.

And since the USAF doesn't have hundreds and hundreds of these and it's a slightly important mostly secret asset we may never know:why, when, or how, just one day somebody using Google earth with count up the bombers and notice there all flying again.

A little update I found
Ellsworth B-1 catches fire in Middle East
Link
http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2008/04/06/news/local/doc47f68a8fc90d0408650464.txt

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't forget that F-15 that fell apart from old age, and led to the speed restriction on all the remaining F-15's. The USAF really needs new aircraft (especially tankers and bombers).

F-15 Eagle

Maybe with these incidents the air force might actaully get serious about building a new bomber for 2018. I can't believe they did not ask for any funding for it for 2009 and that raises a lot of questions about if they really do want a new bomber or not. I believe geting a new bomber in service on time by 2018 and within budget is overly optimistic and unrealistic IMHO.

Sea Toby

I don't expect the USAF to ever build several hundred bombers again in its inventory in the future, but I can see another new generation of heavy bombers created to replace many of the obsolete bombers. Whether its 50, 100, or even 200 depends on a new design and its price.

One does wander whether they will ever be useful again, with so many Tomahawks on navy warships. But that is when I think of the submarine threat, and I say a balanced air force capable of delivering the same will.

F-15 Eagle

I don't expect the USAF to ever build several hundred bombers again in its inventory in the future, but I can see another new generation of heavy bombers created to replace many of the obsolete bombers. Whether its 50, 100, or even 200 depends on a new design and its price.
The USAF is plaining to only build 100 of the new bomber. Below is the requirements.

Among the aircraft characteristics are:
* Two engines.
* A 28,000 pound payload.
* High subsonic cruising speed.
* Improved stealth technology.
* Survive in hostile air space to an extended period of time.
* The ability to carry nuclear weapons.
* A 4,000-nautical-mile unrefueled flight range

Jetmech101

The last 2 B-1's prior to the Ellsworth "incidents" have been repaired and are now flying again...(A gear up landing and an engine fire shortly after take-off)

Last edited:

ROCK45

Back already

Thanks Jetmech101 that's just what I mean were open with a lot of information on our Air Force but not bombers,

F-15 Eagle
I can't believe they did not ask for any funding for it for 2009 and that raises a lot of questions about if they really do want a new bomber or not.
They can't get everything they want with the F-22 & F-35 projects going on and besides bombers are billion dollar assets. It's like comparing a 10 speed bike price wise to high end fancy car, fighters to bombers.

I believe geting a new bomber in service on time by 2018 and within budget is overly optimistic and unrealistic IMHO.
Having a need for a certain project has a way of speeding things up or changing the budget. Things change and we learn a lot more about building such aircraft compare to the R&D money and time spent for the B-1 and B-2.

I think the US is is basically in it or going into the third generation of stealth
tech now and I think stealth weapons will be the new focus. Get a stealth platform 300/400 miles from the target or targets undetected then launch newly designed stealth weapons from that point, is next. Ground targets might be getting hit from 500/600 miles away would become standard.

Jetmech101

Yeah as you know the Military in general isnt very forthcoming when it comes to mishaps. Most people never hear about alot of them. When I worked on F-16's, we had 4 mishaps in Asia which noone ever heard about unless you were there. The B-1 is an exceptional aircraft for what it can do. The two biggest problems with it are 1. The pilots treat it like a fighter(which its not) and 2. The technology was great back in the 80's but the aircraft itself is overly complicated. I'm honestly surprised that there havent been worse incidents.

ROCK45

B-1

Thanks Jetmech101 for that article it's very helpful. In a way it explains something I read a little while ago about B-52s.