Americanize SU-27SM/Su-30?

AbitNutz

Forgive my ignorance; while I am an engineer and an aviation enthusiast, I only know what I read, which on the Internet could be a devastating flaw.
Anyway, it looks to me that the SU-27/30 airframe is most likely superior to the F15, F16 and the F14D. The Sukhoi aircraft lag behind in avionics sophistication and engine design/longevity. The AL-31’s have a remarkably low TBO compared to the GE F110 series.
My query is: What would an SU-30 be like if it were sporting late series F110 32,000 lb thrust engines and U.S. avionics and weapons systems? And correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t that kinda what the Chinese are doing with, with the exception of the avionics?

Thanks…

aaaditya

AbitNutz said:
Forgive my ignorance; while I am an engineer and an aviation enthusiast, I only know what I read, which on the Internet could be a devastating flaw.
Anyway, it looks to me that the SU-27/30 airframe is most likely superior to the F15, F16 and the F14D. The Sukhoi aircraft lag behind in avionics sophistication and engine design/longevity. The AL-31’s have a remarkably low TBO compared to the GE F110 series.
My query is: What would an SU-30 be like if it were sporting late series F110 32,000 lb thrust engines and U.S. avionics and weapons systems? And correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t that kinda what the Chinese are doing with, with the exception of the avionics?

Thanks…
no you are wrong the su 30 with chinese air force is the su30mkk(modified kommercial kanton) which has mostly russian and chinese systems on board.
the indian airforce operates the su30mki (modified kommercial indiesky)which is custom built for india and has french avionics ,israeli,indian and russian subsystems.su30mkm was based on su30mki but with the russian and chinese avionics.
there is a third variant sold to malaysia ,this variant is also based on the mki and known as the su30 mkm ,the only difference between this variant and the mki is that the israeli subsystems have been replaced with french ones.

su30 equipped with f110 engine is nothing but a daydream ,but if it were to be possible then su30 will still be as good as it is and comparable to the latest f15's and f18's (just like it is now)

for information on indian su-30mki check out www.bharat-rakshak.com

Last edited:

WaterBoy

Expensive!:D From my own readings on that unreliable source Avionics & engines form the majority of new military aircraft costs.

Also, IMHO Even with this expensive 'wishlist' the Sukhoi would still be inferior to an F-22. With the same avionics & engines, the Raptor cleaner aerodynamic profile, not to mention 'Stealth' should allow it larger detection & kinematically larger BVR first shot range.

In a WVR weapons scenario, both equiped with the same off-boresight capabilities, Pilot skill would determine the fight, as both these aircraft are reportedly formidable opponents.

aaaditya

WaterBoy said:
Expensive!:D From my own readings on that unreliable source Avionics & engines form the majority of new military aircraft costs.

Also, IMHO Even with this expensive 'wishlist' the Sukhoi would still be inferior to an F-22. With the same avionics & engines, the Raptor cleaner aerodynamic profile, not to mention 'Stealth' should allow it larger detection & kinematically larger BVR first shot range.

In a WVR weapons scenario, both equiped with the same off-boresight capabilities, Pilot skill would determine the fight, as both these aircraft are reportedly formidable opponents.
the bharat rakshak site is considered as a sort of last word if you want to know about indian defence scenario,it is one of the most comprehensive source of information on indian defence technology.

the su30 was never intended to be comparable to the f22 but to be comparable to the f15 and f18,just look at the cost of the f22 in excess of 100million dollars per aircraft,i dont think many countries will be afford to them particularly in the south and south-east asian regions.
for the threats currently existing in the soth and south-east asia the su30 is more than adequate,in some cases it is an overkill.

kilo_4que

aaaditya, i think thats being a little too over exaggerating

I think bharat rakshak isnt a comprehensive source for indian military affairs but rather a biased point of view.

I have visited BR on many occations and all i ever get to interpret is two things. One is, India is the most powerful in south asia and the other is your counterpart pakistan being interpreted as a small timer. Id only take BR serious if it becomes more realistic rather than idealistic.