The headquarters of the US 31st Fighter Wing, stationed at Aviano Air Base in Italy, lost contact with the aircraft at about 20:00 local time [21:00 GMT] on Monday, shortly after the pilot reported a problem, ANSA said.
The US aircraft from Aviano as well as units of Italian Coast Guard and Air Force are involved in the search-and-rescue effort off the coast of the Ravenna province in the northwestern part of the Adriatic Sea.
The plane did not carry weaponry on board during the mission, according to a brief statement by the US Air Force issued on Monday.
Experts believe that the aircraft has crashed in the Adriatic but the pilot could have survived.
The average age of the F-16s, which are considered the workhorse of the US fighter fleet, is 22 to 24 years.
Over 4,500 aircraft have been built since production was approved in 1976.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- F-35 - International Participation
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates