Ukraine and Kazakhstan are to jointly produce the Ukrainian BTR-4 armored personnel carrier in a $150-million deal signed on Thursday at the Kadex 2012 defense exhibition in Astana, Ukroboronprom General Director Dmitry Peregudov said.
Kiev and Astana signed an initial agreement on joint cooperation on armored vehicle overhaul at the end of 2011.
“Today we’ve moved to a new level – production of the most modern Ukrainian designed product, the BTR-4. In all, a hundred machines will be built,” he said. “The first ten will be built this year, and the remaining 90 next year. The overall value of the deal is $150 million,” he said
“We’re interested in the development of joint projects, in particular large caliber guns, navigation systems and other defense items,” he said.
The eight-wheel BTR-4 was developed in the early 2000s and is quite different in layout to the Soviet-era BTR-80 and BTR-90 designs. The vehicle is designed to carry eight troops into battle and provide fire support to them in extreme hot and cold weather conditions. It can be armed with a 30-mm cannon, anti-tank missiles and machine-guns.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Air Power Australia and Low-Observability
- Regional implications of PKK's truce with Turkey
- The Indonesian Army
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates