Ukraine has delivered the first five main battle tanks to Thailand of a 2011 order worth over $200 million, a state-run arms exporter said Wednesday.
The shipment is part of an order of 49 Oplot-M tanks to be put in service with the Royal Thai Armed Forces in the near future.
The Ukrainian tanks arrived at the port of Sattahip on Tuesday and will undergo additional acceptance trials, Ukrspetsexport said in a statement.
The Oplot is armed with a 125-mm smoothbore gun, a 7.62-mm coaxial machine gun and a 12.7-mm anti-aircraft machine gun.
The tank’s protection system integrates both passive armor and explosive reactive armor.
Ukraine has recently become an active competitor on global arms markets thanks to a reputation for reliable weaponry, relatively low prices and extended post-sale and repair warranties.
According to data published by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, Ukraine exported major conventional arms worth $1.3 billion in 2012, making it the fourth largest arms exporter in the world that year.
Sales to Asian countries accounted for 47 percent of exports, while African countries and former Soviet states bought 23 percent and 21 percent respectively of Ukrainian arms, SIPRI reported.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:thai defence news, ukraine army tanks, ukraine tank battle, Ukraine sells T-84 tanks to Thailand, Ukraine sales tanks to Thailand
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Singapore Navy
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Indonesian Aero News
- Unidentified beeping sound
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Reinstitute US Pershing 2 for use vs A2/AD?
- Assad's strategic options
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates