Philip Hammond and Jean-Yves Le Drian agreed to bolster co-operation relating to the acquisition and support of military equipment for both the UK and French armed forces.
The agreement follows on from the communique that was signed by Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Francois Hollande at RAF Brize Norton in January, which set out plans for closer ties between the 2 countries.
As part of the deal signed today, the UK and France agreed a £120 million feasibility phase with 6 industry partners for the joint development of unmanned combat air vehicle concepts and technologies.
They also signed a memorandum of understanding on the SCALP / Storm Shadow missile program with MBDA that continues our co-operation on this important cruise missile capability.
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said:
“The UK and France are committed to delivering effective military capabilities underpinned by cutting-edge technology, developed by strong and capable defence industries.
“This relationship is essential to how we will operate in the future, by ensuring we can deal with the global defence and security challenges we and our allies may face.”
France’s Minister of Defence Jean-Yves Le Drian said:
“The arrangement related to the future combat air system is a historical opportunity for France and the United Kingdom to shape and sustain in the long-term a strong innovative and sovereign combat aircraft industry.
“With continuation of development of cruise missile SCALP / Storm Shadow, after signature of the FASGW(H)/ANL contract previously this year, the 2 nations demonstrated their commitment to sustain the cross-frontier complex weapons industry through interdependence for missile sub-systems and secure significant efficiencies on future program.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:royal new zealand air naval force
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates