“Radio communication was cut around 2:15 pm (1115 GMT) with the F-16 fighter plane on mission in the Amanos mountains,” shortly after the pilot signalled he was about to eject from the aircraft, read the statement.
The governor of Osminaye province, Celalettin Cerrah, specified that the plane had gone down in the town of Yarpuz, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the Syrian border.
The reasons for the crash were not specified.
The accident came two days after a twin car bombing killed 48 people in the town of Reyhanli, along the Syrian border, which Turkish authorities blame on groups close to the Damascus regime.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:turkish air force
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- ESM device?
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Sub launched surface to air missiles - how useful?
- US Navy News and updates
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates