The installation of the update to the whole Tranche 1 Typhoon fleet has been agreed following the successful delivery and assessment of Drop 2.
The enhancement package, developed by our Capability Sustainment Team, provides capability upgrades to a wide range of Typhoon avionic systems covering the displays and controls, attack and identification, defensive aids and communication sub systems.
It was developed through a Mutual Support Agreement between the UK and Germany and involved ourselves and the German National Support Centre (SUZ) organisation based in Manching, Germany.
The first flight of an enhanced Tranche 1 Drop 2 Typhoon took place in May 2012 at RAF Coningsby and has subsequently been assessed by 17(R) Test and Evaluation Squadron as part of the 2012 High Rider trials activity.
Robert Forshaw, Drops Desk Officer within the MOD Defence Equipment and Support Fast Air Support Team said: “The Drop 2 upgrade has been successfully evaluated and will now be embodied onto the wider Tranche 1 fleet.
“The initial roll out has targeted the RAF Typhoon aircraft participating in the Red Flag high intensity air to air combat exercise being conducted at Nellis Air Force Base in February/March 2013, with the remaining frontline squadrons receiving the upgrade shortly thereafter.
“The participating nations within the Drop programme have taken a keen interest in what the Royal Air Force has achieved with this modification and are now looking to embody the Drop 2 product onto their Tranche 1 aircraft.”
Andy Flynn, Head of Contract Engineering Services for NETMA said: “This update, the Drop 2 product, came out of the feedback we have received directly from the pilots. We are also on a journey that will lead to availability improvements that will deliver cost benefits too.”
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:tranche 1 typhoon aircraft
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Navy Carrier Battle Group composition
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Cooling system supplier for Wheeled armored vehicle
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- Indonesian Aero News
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- RussianLand Forces Thread