“Sweden needs 60-80 fighter aircraft to meet the technical and operational threat scenario, “says Armed Forces Supreme Commander Sverker Goranson.
The government has asked for a parliamentary mandate to buy 40-60 planes.
The armed forces could not provide details of what initiatives are needed and what they would cost if the number of Super-Jas, the so-called E-model of the JAS 39 Gripen, was to reach 60.
The first Super-Jas plane made by Saab aerospace is expected to be operational from 2023 and will be used until 2042. Defence Ministry State Secretary Carl von der Esch said that the total annual cost for the system is estimated at SEK3 billion starting from next year, ie a total of SEK 90 billion.
Parliament will decide in December whether to allow the Government to order between 40-60 planes.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Some newer stuff from me...so far
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- US Navy News and updates
- Singapore Navy
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- NZDF General discussion thread
- New Zealand Army Organisation