A statement on their web page reads: “In view of the serious developments in Ukraine, the Armed Forces act, among other things, by raising preparedness at Headquarters and intensifying intelligence efforts.” Lieutenant General Jan Salestrand, Chief of Defence Staff, said they are following the developments very closely.
“We’re making a statement and are upholding our territorial integrity by raising out incident preparedness,” Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt told news agency TT on Friday night. “But that shouldn’t be interpreted as the existence of an imminent threat.”
According to the prime minister, Russian aggressions are escalating. “This is a type of behaviour that we saw during the Cold War and it’s now coming back,” Reinfeldt said.
The defence has also placed two Jas Gripen fighter planes on Gotland, where they are in a better position to quickly reach the Baltic Sea.
Starting Monday, the Swedish Armed Forces are taking part in the international naval exercise Northern Coast in Finland.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:sweden military readiness, swedish defense rediness, swedish military readiness
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Brazilian Naval Strength
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Mexico's military defense
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russia tests new missiles
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- US Navy News and updates
- The Indonesian Army
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates