South Korea’s defence ministry is investigating a US arms dealer and its local agency for supplying sub-standard parts for anti-aircraft guns safeguarding Seoul’s skies, according to news reports.
Out of the 72 barrels on 36 Oerlikons deployed to guard key sites including the presidential office, 49 turned out to be sub-standard, Yonhap and Hankook Ilbo newspaper said.
The barrels tend to crack when the guns are fired, the reports said, adding the army is now replacing them with locally developed barrels.
A defence ministry spokesman said police were investigating the “arms provision fraud” case but declined to give details.
The reports said a US dealer signed a contract in 1998 with South Korea’s arms procurement agency to import barrels for the anti-aircraft guns by 2003.
However, its South Korean agency allegedly arranged for an unqualified local firm to make sub-standard gun barrels, ship them to Hong Kong and import them back to the country as apparently authentic products.
The scam earned millions of dollars, Yonhap and Hankook Ilbo newspaper said.
“The investigation will also look into allegations of bribery involving local procurement officials,” an unidentified defence ministry official was quoted as saying.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:35mm anti aircraft gun hd posters, Pakistani anti air weapons
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- F-35 - International Participation
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards