The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) opposes Western missile defense plans that could jeopardize international stability, the regional security group said in a declaration on Wednesday.
“The member states believe that the unilateral and unrestricted buildup of a missile defense capability by one state or a group of countries can hurt strategic stability and international security,” the six-nation summit declaration said.
The leaders of China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan met in Kazakhstan’s capital of Astana to discuss regional stability and security, including the fight against terrorism and drug trafficking.
Moscow has been critical of U.S. plans to build a missile defense system in Europe in 2015-2020 in close proximity to its national borders.
The SCO leaders also spoke in favor of a nuclear weapons-free zone in Central Asia and the use of outer space exclusively for peaceful purposes.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- ADF General discussion thread
- Iraqi Air Force and Air Defense
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Brazilian Naval Strength
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Mexico's military defense
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russia tests new missiles
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates