Sagem (Safran) delivered the first 150 JIM LR 2 multifunction long-range infrared binoculars to the French army, in line with the original delivery schedule. This delivery was part of the JIR TTA NG (1) program, covering a total of 1,175 multifunction binoculars. The program contract was awarded by French defense procurement agency DGA to Sagem, as prime contractor, in December 2010.
JIM LR 2 is a portable, compact unit, combining a number of advanced functions: day and night (thermal) vision, rangefinder, laser pointer, compass, GPS and data transmissions. It is fully compatible with Sagem’s own FELIN integrated equipment system for dismounted soldiers.
JIM LR 2 offers several major improvements in relation to the initial JIM LR version:
- enhanced detection performance;
- longer-range pointer for fire support;
- 30% longer run time;
- the ability to record images and videos integrated in the product.
Coupled to a new remote control terminal, JIM LR 2 provides a full-fledged optronic system for area surveillance, intelligence and support, whether used by dismounted troops or from a vehicle.
The delivery in December followed a series of government qualification tests performed in the DGA’s own test centers from February to June 2012 to verify performance specifications. French armed forces had already carried out field tests.
Produced by Sagem in its Poitiers plant, JIM LR binoculars are used by several NATO countries, where they are deployed in infantry, artillery and intelligence units, special forces, support for frontline troops, and border and coastal patrol. A total of 5,000 JIM LR binoculars are now in service or under order worldwide, including 2,000 in France.
(1) Jumelles Infrarouges Multifonction – Toute Arme de Nouvelle Génération (Multifunction Infrared Binoculars – All services – New-Generation). The first 150 JIM LR 2 units were delivered to the 2nd Equipment Regiment (Bruz, French Brittany), after passing the DGA’s acceptance tests.
Sagem, a high-tech company in the Safran group, holds world or European leadership positions in optronics, avionics, electronics and safety-critical software for both civil and military markets. Sagem is the No. 1 company in Europe and No. 3 worldwide for inertial navigation systems (INS) used in air, land and naval applications. It is also the world leader in helicopter flight controls and the European leader in optronics and tactical UAV systems. Operating across the globe through the Safran group, Sagem and its subsidiaries employ 7,500 people in Europe, Southeast Asia and North America. Sagem is the commercial name of the company Sagem Défense Sécurité.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:JIM LR long-range multifunction infrared binoculars PICTURES, JIM LR Продам, lr jim sagem, sagem jim lr cost, sagem jim lr photos
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Indonesian Army
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- F-35 - International Participation
- Battlefield communications in high radiation environments
- Opinions on military and strategy games
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- UFO or secret fighter jet?
- Unidentified beeping sound
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Navy
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'