A Russian Udaloy class destroyer is escorting a second convoy of commercial ships since its arrival on an anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden, the spokesman for Russia’s Northern Fleet, Capt. 1st rank Vadim Serga said on Monday.
“The convoy escorted by the Severomorsk destroyer comprises the Arizona and the St. Paul bulk freighters, sailing under the Liberian flag,” Serga said. “Both commercial ships have security details consisting of Russian naval infantry on board.”
The Severomorsk will escort the freighters from the Arabian Sea to the Red Sea.
The Russian warship, which started its anti-piracy mission in March, successfully escorted a convoy of nine foreign commercial ships last week.
Russia joined the international anti-piracy effort in the region in 2008. The Russian warships from the Pacific, Northern and Baltic fleets operate in the Gulf of Aden on a rotation basis.
The latest Russian anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden was carried out by a task force from the Pacific Fleet, led by the Marshal Shaposhnikov destroyer.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indian Army News and Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- PC GAMES (Defence/Military, Strategy)
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs