A Russian Udaloy class destroyer is escorting a second convoy of commercial ships since its arrival on an anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden, the spokesman for Russia’s Northern Fleet, Capt. 1st rank Vadim Serga said on Monday.
“The convoy escorted by the Severomorsk destroyer comprises the Arizona and the St. Paul bulk freighters, sailing under the Liberian flag,” Serga said. “Both commercial ships have security details consisting of Russian naval infantry on board.”
The Severomorsk will escort the freighters from the Arabian Sea to the Red Sea.
The Russian warship, which started its anti-piracy mission in March, successfully escorted a convoy of nine foreign commercial ships last week.
Russia joined the international anti-piracy effort in the region in 2008. The Russian warships from the Pacific, Northern and Baltic fleets operate in the Gulf of Aden on a rotation basis.
The latest Russian anti-piracy mission in the Gulf of Aden was carried out by a task force from the Pacific Fleet, led by the Marshal Shaposhnikov destroyer.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- NZDF General discussion thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- ADF General discussion thread
- Singapore Army Pictures
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates