The Russian Armed Forces will start receiving Il-476 heavy transport planes in 2014, the Defense Ministry said.
The Il-476 is a significantly modernized version of Russia’s Il-76 Candid transport plane, featuring a fully-digital flight control system, new avionics and PS-90A-76 engines with improved fuel efficiency systems.
The ministry on Thursday signed a contract worth about 140 billion rubles ($4 billion) with Russia’s United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) for the delivery of 39 Il-476 planes by 2020.
The Il-476 will be built at the Urals-based Aviastar-SP aircraft-manufacturing plant.
A prototype of the plane carried out a maiden flight in September and will undergo a comprehensive testing program for another year.
The Russian military has not received new transport planes for the past 20 years.
According to various sources, there are up to 300 transport aircraft in service with the Russian Air Force, including An-12 Cub, An-72 Coaler, An-22 Cock, An-124 Condor and Il-76 Candid planes. Most of the aircraft entered service in the 1960s and 1970s and are considered outdated by modern safety and noise pollution standards.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- NZDF General discussion thread
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- US Navy News and updates
- ADF General discussion thread
- Future of the Global Hawk
- Marine Nationale Discussions and Updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- DT Hall of Shame - Ban List
- Tactical Nuclear weapons - still relevant?
- New Zealand Army Organisation