Maj. Gen. Andrei Nechayev’s remarks come in response to media reports that the Russian Armed Forces so far have no military police and that formation cannot begin until 2013 due to “legal inconsistencies.”
“The military police have already been created and are functional within the scope of tasks as defined by our leaders,” he said in an interview with RIA Novosti.
The Defense Ministry has until the end of 2014 to complete formation of the new service, he added.
Former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov announced the creation of the military police in July 2011. The service’s main function will be to fight rampant hazing and theft of military property.
Russia’s Chief Military Prosecutor Sergei Fridinsky said in April that the agency will also be granted investigative functions.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Indonesian Army
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Made in Singapore Equipment
- Ukranian Crisis
- Fire-control protocol - the Buk-M1 air defense complex
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Help identifying an NASA plane from 1966
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates