Maj. Gen. Andrei Nechayev’s remarks come in response to media reports that the Russian Armed Forces so far have no military police and that formation cannot begin until 2013 due to “legal inconsistencies.”
“The military police have already been created and are functional within the scope of tasks as defined by our leaders,” he said in an interview with RIA Novosti.
The Defense Ministry has until the end of 2014 to complete formation of the new service, he added.
Former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov announced the creation of the military police in July 2011. The service’s main function will be to fight rampant hazing and theft of military property.
Russia’s Chief Military Prosecutor Sergei Fridinsky said in April that the agency will also be granted investigative functions.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- F-35 - International Participation
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Flanker Export Thread
- North Korean Military.
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Iran Inaugurates Production Line of HAFEZ Radar System
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates