The first contract between the Defense Ministry and Irkut for the delivery of 30 Su-30SMs was signed in March. The Russian Air Force received the first two Su-30SM aircraft on November 22.
“In line with the new contract, Irkut will build 30 additional aircraft of this type for the Defense Ministry by 2016,” the ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
The Su-30SM is the latest development of the twin-seat Su-30 jet fighter family, itself a derivative of the long-serving single-seat Sukhoi Su-27, one of the air force’s most important warplanes.
The new aircraft has an improved radar, communications and identification-friend-or-foe system, new ejection seat and new weapons. It also has thrust-vectoring engine nozzles and canard fore planes, providing super-maneuverability at low air speeds.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen the best jeep yet?
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- The forgotten battle in South China Sea Truong Sa Sea Battle
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- APC BTR -80 Overhauling /servicing WORKSHOP
- Singapore Navy
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Т-35A Up and Running