Russia on Monday drew Kiev’s attention over media reports that a Ukrainian military-space enterprise had allegedly been negotiating with third countries on missile technology sale.
Referring to the Yuzhmash plant based in the city of Dnepropetrovsk in eastern Ukraine, the Russian Foreign Ministry reminded that Ukraine is a participant of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) and a signatory of The Hague Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation (HCoC).
Moscow said Kiev has been bearing serious political obligations and must be especially restrained when it comes to technologies of building the missiles with the range over 300 km and workload over 500 kg.
“According to the MTCR, the most likely outcome of these negotiations must be refusal to hand over those technologies,” the ministry said in a statement.
Yuzhmash produces the silo-based Voyevoda (SS-18, or Satan in NATO classification) inter-continental ballistic missiles capable of carrying eight-piece nuclear warhead. Yuzhmash also produces Dnepr space rockets conversed from the Voyevoda.
Russia reminded that participants of the HCoC have obligations not to facilitate, nor to support other countries in their efforts to build the ballistic missiles capable to carry weapons of mass destruction.
Russia hoped that despite complicated political situation in Ukraine in the absence of legitimate authorities, the leaders of the country should show due responsibility and stick to their obligations under the MTCR and HCoC not to undermine non- proliferation regimes.
Established in 1987 by Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States, the MTCR has been signed by 34 countries to date. The Hague Code of Conduct was signed in 2002 with the number of its participants currently reaching 137.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Navy Carrier Battle Group composition
- Ukranian Crisis
- Cooling system supplier for Wheeled armored vehicle
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- Indonesian Aero News
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates