Previous media reports said that the K-152 Nerpa attack submarine had already been transferred to India on a 10-year lease.
“The submarine is completely ready for transfer. An Indian crew is currently training aboard with Russian instructors,” the admiral – who requested anonymity – said.
The training course includes the launching of cruise missiles, he added.
“This should be completed before October: We’re running late as it is,” the admiral said.
Twenty sailors were killed onboard the submarine as the K-152 Nerpa was undergoing sea trials in the Sea of Japan in November 2008. A fire extinguishing system malfunctioned leading to the discharge of a toxic gas.
The boat is now fully operational after repairs.
The $900-million lease contract was drawn up after Moscow and New Delhi struck a deal in January 2004 where India agreed to fund part of the Nerpa’s construction.
The Nerpa was originally scheduled to be inducted into the Indian Navy as INS Chakra by mid-2008.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:indian navy wallpapers, sukhoi 34 syria
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- F-35 - International Participation
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force