Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov made the announcement at a joint meeting in Moscow with visiting Afghan Foreign Minister Zalmay Rasul.
“An agreement has been reached in which the terms of transit Russia provides for NATO into Afghanistan will be broadened to include return transit from Afghanistan to NATO countries,” Lavrov said, according to Reuters. “In addition to that, this easing of transit applies to armored vehicles with anti-mine protection.”
Moscow and NATO struck a deal last weekend to boost the flow of Western military supply shipments through Russia to Afghanistan.
But NATO officials have not disclosed details of the new agreement or whether it changes Russia’s previous limiting of transit to only noncombat equipment.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- NZDF General discussion thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Arms Race in Space
- F-35 - International Participation
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread