Russia will issue a $1 billion loan to Bangladesh for purchases of Russian-made arms and military equipment, Russian President Vladimir Putin said after talks with Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Tuesday.
“Russia…will allocate a $1 billion loan to Bangladesh for purchases of Russian arms and military equipment,” Putin said.
Bangladesh is likely to use the cash to buy MiG-29SMT fighter jets and upgrade an earlier batch of MiG-29s, as well as buying BTR-80 armored vehicles and Mi-171 military helicopters, Russian military analyst Igor Korotchenko said.
The deal is part of an array of agreements signed during Putin’s talks with Hasina in Moscow on Tuesday. The two countries also settled on a project to jointly build Bangladesh’s first nuclear power plant and signed memorandums of understanding in various spheres, including anti-terrorism, justice, healthcare and education.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- NZDF General discussion thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- ADF General discussion thread
- Singapore Army Pictures
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates